Dope Seeds ...................Dutch Passion - Masters At Work

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By midman4u
  • 1 Post By midman4u
  • 2 Post By littleT

Thread: How much dolomite lime per gallon of water?

How much dolomite lime per gallon of water?

Was wondering how much dolomite lime per gallon of water would i use? Also alittle FYI for you other growers i found dolomite lime at Lowes for under 4 bucks. $3.86 to be correct.How much dolomite lime per gallon of water?-fertilizers_1.jpgfor this 40lb bag.I will be adding this to my soil for my next grow.Which will be Vision seeds northern lights auto.Ordered yesterday! Also i wanna thank Muddy for all the info reguarding Ph.I have been doing this for 14 years now and just really started understanding the truth and importance to PH.I guess i got lucky with buffered soil for all those years!LOL
    stylez likes this.

Hi midman4u, hope you're well buddy. Quick question if i may, I added a tablespoon of lime to each pot of my current grow, i just mixed it into the soil dry was this the wrong thing to do? was it supposed to be added to water and watered into the soil?

I assume if you want it to take effect right away if you are mid way through a grow.You could apply to soil and water thourghly.Now it is best to add lime into soil before growing and mix it well.I got some commercial soil that has been sitting since last grow season.My problem is it is no longer buffered.Sitting out in the rain and such has made it unstable.I am at week 6 and i started to have a multi-deficiency.Due to improper ph(which i'm still learning about).So i applied a small amount to the top of the soil.Then 1 tablespoon per gallon and watered the plants with the one gallon of ph'ed water and lime to push lime applied to top of soil down toward the bottom.I will not know if this is effective for 2-3.Now any other plant that the ph is starting to go off i will address by just adding some lime to water.That was why i asked how much.The six i am treating now were in rough shape, but will be abled to be saved!These ak-49 were humming right along ,and were so easy i did not pay close attention and they almost got away from me.I will no doubt pay closer attention and address problems before they get out of hand.
    stylez likes this.

Dragon Addiction Councellor littleT's Avatar

Awards And Staff Icons

To raise the pH and lower acidity or sweeten the soil, we add lime. To lower pH and increase acidity you can add sulphate of ammonia or urea which are high nitrogen fertilizers.
    From this you can see that adding manure will also lower pH and make the soil more acid.
    It’s counter to what you expect, but adding loads of manure year after year will actually reduce soil fertility by making it too acid so the plants cannot access the nutrients. They become locked up.
    Never Mix Lime and Fertilizer

If you have ever had a pee (slightly acid) into a toilet with bleach (very alkaline) in it, you will have noticed there is an unpleasant reaction, Just the same if you mix your lime and fertilizer. They will at best cancel each other out in an unpleasant, to the soil, reaction.
    So never lime in the same year you fertilize if you can avoid it and certainly not in the same couple of months.

Different Soils

Clay soils tend to become acid more quickly than sandy soils and the amount of organic matter has an effect as well. Clay soils can also be slow to react to the addition of lime as well.
    Do you need to lime and how much to lime – measuring pH

Measuring Soil Acidity (pH level)

You can buy various types of test kit, often you mix a soil sample with water then compare a colour change to a chart, but this is a bit of a pain for taking more than a couple of samples. I use an electronic meter, which is much easier just requiring polishing and inserting into wet soil.
    Whichever kit you use, it will come with instructions and will give you a reading. Never make a judgement on the basis of just one test. You may have hit a spot particularly high or low pH. Take samples or test from a number of spots and this will give you a much better general view of your soil’s acidity level.
    Types of Garden Lime

Agricultural Lime or Garden Lime

Agricultural Lime or Garden Lime is made from pulverized limestone or chalk. As well as raising the pH it will provide calcium for the crops and trace nutrients. Some recent experiments are indicating our soils may well benefit from the addition of rock dust, adding trace nutrients to the soil.
    Dolomite Lime

Dolomite lime is similar to garden lime but contains a higher percentage of magnesium.
    Quicklime and Slaked Lime

Quicklime is produced by burning rock limestone in kilns. It is highly caustic and cannot be applied directly to the soil. Quicklime reacts with water to produce slaked, or hydrated, lime, thus quicklime is spread around the land in heaps to absorb rain and form slaked lime, which is then spread on the soil. Their use is prohibited by the organic standards and while fast acting, the effect is short lived in comparison to garden lime.
    How Much Lime to Use

How much lime to use will depend on your soil type and how far you have to raise your pH by. The chart below will give you a rough guide for how much ground limestone to use. For hydrated lime you only need between half and three quarters the amount.
    Do be careful, too much lime can raise your pH too far and an alkaline soil is as bad as an acid soil for yield.
    When to Lime

It’s usually best to lime your soil in the autumn and allow it to work its way into the soil over the winter. You do not want to lime when you have crops in the ground as the lime may well damage the crops Since brassicas like both high amounts of nitrogen & humus as well as a high pH, manure in the autumn for them and lime in the early spring,
    Conclusion

Testing the soil takes little time and is very cheap. The benefit of liming is huge so do it as part of your rotation and you will see better crops for your efforts.

Amount of Lime to Raise Soil pH from 5.5 to 6.5 Soil Type KG / M2 lb / yd2 Clay0.91.66Sand0.71.29Light0.81.47Organic1.12.03Pe at1.7
    stylez and GROWNBITCHZ like this.