So after five grows I decided it was time for sativa. Spent several weeks researching breeders where I found Ace Seeds and their diligent approach to landrace breeding. I settled on Malawi x Panama Fem so that I could start a perpetual grow with great genetics.
- Company Name:
- Ace Seeds
- Product/Service Website:
- Purchased From?:
- Purchase Price:
23 DAY VEG
- 4x4x7 tent
- 6 x 3 gallon pots
- 6 x Ace Malawi x Panama Fem
- Bridgelux EB2 strips 3000k x 12 on a 480w Meanwell A driver on a 44x44" frame
- Botanicare Coco coir
- Botanicare Pure blend pro bloom and liquid karma for veg and Jack's FeED part A with Growpito enzymes and beneficials for flower
These weren't bad to veg but in 2/6 seeds one set sprouted twins and the other struggled to germinate and root. I can't say if upward growth during veg was extensive because I trained down into flat canopies. I super cropped them several times and fimmed them.
CASTING THE NET
Flipped to flower pretty effortlessly until about week 4 where two of the phenos weren't developing calyx. I reduced the light cycle to 11/13 which caused the phenos to start budding.
From week 5-6 I had leaves shedding badly as if I had a deficiency but they stopped in week 6 for some reason.
I eventually had to add the second net because the weight of the bud had broken a few branches and they would out the tent. Strain was easy to grow just more patience required.
I continued lowering the light schedule down to 9/15 where they finished within breeder hombres of 10-12 weeks with milky/amber trichomes. Plants did really well in SCROG.
THE GOOD, THE BAD, WHERE I WENT WRONG
For the pros
For the cons
- Fast growing
- Strong 3-4x stretch
- Likes high heat - I did 80-86f
- High humidity isn't a problem - 75% in veg and 60% through flower
- Easy to train
- Dense bud
- Above average resin and oil production
- Long bud structures
- Low nutrient requirement - averaging 700ppm
I broke these stems pretty easily and spent quite awhile trimming in flower because they ended up bushy. I enjoyed this grow with its sweet lemon scents and sticky buds and I will grow it again. Ace has great genetics and responsive customer service. Everyone I gave clones are enjoying the genetics. They clone easily and are perfect for a first sativa.
- May need extra silica as the stems break easily
- Possibly requiring the light schedule to be altered may be taboo for some and possible reduction in yield without adequate lighting