1. Hello you magnificent folks at AFN, just though you all might like to know that we will have two brand new autoflowering strains that we will be launching in 4-6 weeks. If anyone is interested in running a sneaky pre-launch grow please let me know in the Bomb Seed section..
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey everyone, an explanation (and our solutions) on our technical site problems we've been experiencing:

Click Here!
    Dismiss Notice

Growpito Sim Mix

Author Rating:
5/5,
Average User Rating:
5/5,
Link to Thread:
https://www.autoflower.net/forums/threads/00-seeds-autos-hps-600w-dtw-growpito-sim-mix.66482/page-19
Introduction/Overview:
Growpito Technologies is dedicated to providing reusable horticultural hydroponic mediums that save water, nutrients and allows the hydroponic horticulturist to expect maximized yields and complete nutrient control. Growpito's refined mediums and systems are designed to give farmers, whether small or large, confidence and complete repeatability with a reduced ecological footprint.
  • Description of Product/Service:
    This is an inert hydroponic growing medium with high water retention, increased oxygen to roots, and is reusable ad infinitum.
    Company Name:
    GrowPito
    Product/Service Website:
    http://www.growpito.com/home
    Top Three Features:
    Reusable

High water retention

More oxygen for roots
    The problem and the promise?:
    Growpito aims to improve water usage through their reusable medium.
    Purchased From?:
    GrowPito
    Purchase Price:
    Free
    growpito.jpg growpito1.jpg growpito2.jpg growpito3.jpg growpito4.jpg growpito5.jpg growpito6.jpg growpito7.jpg growpito8.jpg growpito9.jpg growpito10.jpg growpito11.jpg
    Overall I thought this was a great medium during my grow for two kush strains by 00 Seeds.

I initiating pre charged the medium, made balls for the seeds to germ in, and then made space in the pots. Using a multi feed DTW system I started the first week from 1-4 feeds a day then from there the plants took off eventually being fed 8x a day around 1200 ppm.

In hindsight I would have used hydroton to top dress because my drip emitters were wetting the sim mix and creating algae but it never got out of hand. I would also use 3 gallon pots next time as I believe 1 gallons were too small, dried out too quickly, and caused problems.
  • First Impressions:
    Felt nice in my hands

Easy to pre charge

Makes nice germination balls

Pest resistant
    Actual Benefits Provided:
    The water reduction was noticeable saving me 10 gallons a week. Several times I set my timer wrong or the power went out and a few days later my pots(1 gallon smart pots) were still hydrated. Root development was insane constantly growing out the sides and bottom of the pots.
    Who should use this product/service?:
    Anyone wanting to preserve water, get away from other hydroponic mediums, go on vacations, or that uses flood and drain.
    User Friendly?:
    Had I not spoken with @coalminer prior to using it I would have made more mistakes. Easier than coco once the set up is done right and preferably hydroton balls used as a top dressing.
    Who should NOT use this product/service?:
    Idk.
    Comparable Products/Services:
    Nope
    How long have you used this product/service?:
    Four months
  • Positives/Benefits:
    High water retention

Better root growth

Reusable

Easy to charge
    Negatives/Drawbacks:
    Prone to algae without top dressing

3 gallon pot or larger - I don't think 1 gallon was large enough
    Able to overcome negatives?:
    I top dressed the pots with dry sim mix but I believe hydroton would have been better.

I had yellowing leaves in flower and what seemed like calmag or ph issues early on but getting the ph to 6.0 seemed best.
    Rate the Product Quality:
    • High Quality
    Would You Purchase This Product Again?:
    Absolutely if I had to.
    Would you recommend this product/service to another grower?:
    Absolutely!
    Conclusion/Final Thoughts:
    This is a great inert hydroponic medium with many benefits and no real downsides plus it's infinitely reusable with the addition of enzymes. This will be my exclusive growing medium going forward.

Share this Item

Recent User Reviews

1. MrOldBoy
    5/5,
    "Nice Root System"
    Great review, good info, nice job!

User Comments

To post comments, simply sign up and become a member!
  1. Mutley
    Is there a price comparison?
    If it aint broke?
    I get repeated use out of clay pebbles...any reason why l/anyone should change?
    First impressions "felt nice in my hands"????
    Cmon mate..
    1. STILLSMOKIN
      Its made to be a reusable medium also not just hydro. You are supposed to be able to water it like a soil or coco. I've yet to see a pebble only medium?
      STILLSMOKIN, Mar 1, 2019
    2. Damien50
      It's around $60 for a bag at the hydro store. It's completely reusable with beneficials and can be used with organics as well. My review isn't intended to make anyone believe they should change their methods as their are various ways to grow that all work in residential and commercial settings.

This medium suits my needs rather they be using a drip or ebb and flow set up because it retains water well. In the event of pump failure or me being on vacation I don't have to worry about my medium having enough water.

If your method works that is totally fine but this medium is touted as nutrient and water saving. So if you mind your ecological footprint or even your monthly bills then this is worth consideration but there's no pressure to change.
      Damien50, Mar 3, 2019
      STILLSMOKIN likes this.
    3. STILLSMOKIN
      He was just a troll, probably from RIU. They already banned him.
      STILLSMOKIN, Mar 3, 2019
      Damien50 likes this.
  2. STILLSMOKIN
    How hard is it too get roots out for a second run with it? Seems like it went through the medium instead of around it.
      Damien50 likes this.
    1. Damien50
      Growpito has bennies to help break down the old roots. My only issue were the roots closet to the stem but I'll be reusing the medium plus the roots in my Malawi grow with the bennies/mega crop.

For the time being though I have the entire bag of sim mix in a cooler soaking waiting for the next grow
      Damien50, Jan 26, 2019
      STILLSMOKIN and TehSnow like this.
    2. STILLSMOKIN
      Thanks for answering! May have to try it myself nice grow also!
      STILLSMOKIN, Jan 26, 2019
      Damien50 likes this.
  3. Weed Warrior
    great job man!! Well done!
      Damien50 likes this.
  4. Burn victim
    Nice ! That root / stem reminds me of that statue the priest found in The Exorcist, kill that thing with fire lol! Not that I believe that shit , but still . ;)
      Weed Warrior and Damien50 like this.