• Do you LOVE AFN?? bighug We do too!! But we need your help to keep the servers running!

If you feel like AFN has been useful in your journey and would like to help us pay some of the bills, we have a gofundme page setup for donations.
    Any amount that you can spare will be gratefully received

Click [HERE] to donate to AFN
  • Hey everyone, HLG is generously offering 3 pairs of Method Seven glasses (amazing eye protection for your grow) in a holiday giveaway!

Click Here to Enter and Play!
  • G'Day folks! It's voting time for the 2021 Outdoor Auto-Photo Comp', so please swing by to oggle them womens and pick your favorites!.... *Located at the Live Vendor G&S section*

A beginners guide to LED's

MrOldBoy

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Sam’s Crack / Gold Glue / 3 Bears OG
You can even do QB And autocobs!

View attachment 1015866
Or Cob and second light on a light rail ..... COB is 3,500K Optic 1XL and Optic 4 3000/500K on light rail .....

Right now I’m running some young plants under the rail with in veg portion of Optic 4 light on, meanwhile flower under the cob with some of each light mixing ..... PAR gets up to 1,100 when rail lite is far right and co2 levels running constant 1,150-1,200 the plant can easily handle the 1,100 level for the 20 seconds or so and rails moves and drops down to around 700 with just COB .....

With the rail you can adjust where you get the PAR you want, I use PAR Meter but made MISTAKE of using Lumen and BURNT UP half my first grow, not pretty when they are toast .... after that I got a rail and par meter, I have a sun systems PAR Meter, $350 and worth every cent as I’m able to adjust light exactly where I need and I have the confidence knowing what the PAR is.
D66E1971-6DA2-4B32-9AFE-4DCD82A08B04.jpeg

Last edited:

pop22

Frankensteins Lab Leader
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Nice setup!

Or Cob and second light on a light rail ..... COB is 3,500K Optic 1XL and Optic 4 3000/500K on light rail .....

Right now I’m running some young plants under the rail with in veg portion of Optic 4 light on, meanwhile flower under the cob with some of each light mixing ..... PAR gets up to 1,100 when rail lite is far right and co2 levels running constant 1,150-1,200 the plant can easily handle the 1,100 level for the 20 seconds or so and rails moves and drops down to around 700 with just COB .....

With the rail you can adjust where you get the PAR you want, I use PAR Meter but made MISTAKE of using Lumen and BURNT UP half my first grow, not pretty when they are toast .... after that I got a rail and par meter, I have a sun systems PAR Meter, $350 and worth every cent as I’m able to adjust light exactly where I need and I have the confidence knowing what the PAR is.
View attachment 1015878

High-Dro Mephisto

Full time Hydroponic Mephisto Farmer
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Sour Stomper

View attachment 1015878
That rail system is really nice for getting the most bang for your buck out of your light. Nice indeed.

MrOldBoy

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Nice setup!
Thank you .......

As for monies invested- guess the short answer is YES but I share my thoughts:

Certainly we have cost of lights, normal expense and cost of rail, added but helps offset lights as you get more coverage, lplus our meters, soil, etc ..... Now I admit I have disposable income and tent is above average Bear but when I treat in context of a hobby with a return of such a high value plant and couple that with knowing Exactly what you have (I use no bottled nutrients, especially if label carries the word Proprietary- which Timme means “our special crap we have”) .... so anyways I avoid the bottle .... add in the satisfaction of a successful grow or even the learning of a marginal grow ...... and all organic like mine, seeing progress and knowing it’s my doing, it’s a BIG YES WORTH EVERY CENT.

MrOldBoy

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
That rail system is really nice for getting the most bang for your buck out of your light. Nice indeed.
Thank you brother, think I made some solid choices .... was learning curve, but pleasurable one ....

Bro I’ve got a 3,500K COB on right and running rail is optic 4 full cycle but only using the 5,000K veg cycle (bloom not turned on) .... so veg on left and flower on right, couldn’t be happier with performance .... this is inside a 2x4x72 tent that actually measure 28.75x53 inches, so oversized 2x4 tent .... to support that I added additional support bars on top, got them on eBay, nice stronger than stock bars ....

My Plans for the Mephisto Battle are: in a few weeks, I’ll remove the Optic 4 3,00/5,000 full cycle light and replace with identical Optic 4 with dedicated 3,000K, hoping for some rock hard buds and a good looking plant and figured I’ve gotta think different to have a Winner!

Last edited:

High-Dro Mephisto

Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Sour Stomper
Nice job on the write up @ColoradoDreaming420
Thank you bushmaster. I told you I was working on one. I thought someone was asking some questions or something. If I could remember Id tag them in it . I just wanted something that could guide a new grower without them requiring a degree in photon physics and botany to pick a damn grow light ha ha.

Iriee Vibez

Just a guy with 3 plants and a cabinet...
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Gorilla Glue, BlackBerry
Nice job with the write up, CD!

:slap:

There will always be room for a Blurple in veg for me, though. I read somewhere where someone said Blurple provides something magical during the veg phase, and I must say I agree with them! Cobs with UVB for flowering for sure, though.

rick-j

Bearclaw
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
yes
Thank you for all that wonderful information, i'm new to these lights, got them both about 4 years ago. I'm currently growing, biggest problem I had was getting the lights to close, and of course, feeding----- see, even though I did my best to kill those girls, with lots of help from this site, I'm going to have a pretty good harvest --
100_1212.JPG
100_1419.JPG
:jointman:

High-Dro Mephisto

Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Sour Stomper
Thank you for all that wonderful information, i'm new to these lights, got them both about 4 years ago. I'm currently growing, biggest problem I had was getting the lights to close, and of course, feeding----- see, even though I did my best to kill those girls, with lots of help from this site, I'm going to have a pretty good harvest --View attachment 1016308 View attachment 1016309 :jointman:
Absolutely. There is lots of great info on this site amd it has helped me out tremendously. Those girls are looking nice. You close to harvest?