• Come join us as we welcome Horticulture Lighting Group to the Autoflower Network!

We have an official representative from HLG that will be active on the forum to answer your questions, several units that are coming for our official product testing (grow and show's,) and we'll be working together to provide better information on lighting in general!

Come say hello!
  • Do you LOVE AFN?? bighug We do too!! But we need your help to keep the servers running!

If you feel like AFN has been useful in your journey and would like to help us pay some of the bills, we have a gofundme page setup for donations.
    Any amount that you can spare will be gratefully received

Click [HERE] to donate to AFN

A beginners guide to LED's

High-Dro Mephisto

Full time Hydroponic Mephisto Farmer
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Sour Stomper
@ColoradoDreaming420 Thank you for the info I am a complete noobie and this helped kinda tone things down. I ended up settling with 2 Mars SP-150’s for my 3x3 hope everything goes well wish me luck!
Im glad it could help :thumbsup:. The lights you got are very similar to the HLG100's but a little bit cheaper. I think you will do just fine with them :smokeit: Happy Growing mate!

rick-j

Bearclaw
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
yes
Im glad it could help :thumbsup:. The lights you got are very similar to the HLG100's but a little bit cheaper. I think you will do just fine with them :smokeit: Happy Growing mate!
Great info, got a question, I have some light's I got 4 or 5 year's ago. here is a pic. Planning to grow 1 plant in tent, light has a switch for 2 or 4 COB'S
,should I use 2 or 4 light's?? Don't have much info, i'm very much a rookie with these led's, also have a platinum p-300 I have burnt some leave's with, thank's for all of that time and wonderfull info.
100_1594.JPG
100_1212.JPG
:jointman:

High-Dro Mephisto

Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Sour Stomper
@ColoradoDreaming420 Thank you and others who shared their knowledge on this thread! I am gearing up for my first grow ever, the info on AFN has been invaluable!!
Awesome to hear you found some of it useful! I wish you the best of luck on your first grow. May want to consider starting a grow journal as well. Its a great way to meet new people and have people following along that can offer advice at ,it seems, much needed times! Happy Growing ! :cheers:

DarkStarMagnolia

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Taking a break until harvest :)
WOW this guide answered most of my noobie questions. Thank you so much for this guide. Extremely helpful, especially the beginning when you go over the vocabulary and science behind lighting. Very well written. For someone who knew nothing about lights for Autoflowers this was puuuuuurfect! :thanks:

~KeepOnSmiling~ :applause:

High-Dro Mephisto

Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Sour Stomper
WOW this guide answered most of my noobie questions. Thank you so much for this guide. Extremely helpful, especially the beginning when you go over the vocabulary and science behind lighting. Very well written. For someone who knew nothing about lights for Autoflowers this was puuuuuurfect! :thanks:

~KeepOnSmiling~ :applause:

That is awesome! I'm glad I can contribute something to this wonderful community.

olegren

stuck in my cabana, living on bananas and blow
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Strawberry Nuggets & Double Grape
Thank you so much for this guide. It added a great deal of clarity to a long list of questions and unknowns I had accumulated over the last couple months.

I do have a question: It's mentioned that 600-800 ppfd is ideal; with 200 being sufficient. HLG, on their website, mentions < 100 ppfd for seedlings, but I hear others talk about going higher. Can anyone shed any clarity on the schedule on which ppfd can be increased as you transition from late seedling to early veg?

High-Dro Mephisto

Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Sour Stomper
Thank you so much for this guide. It added a great deal of clarity to a long list of questions and unknowns I had accumulated over the last couple months.

I do have a question: It's mentioned that 600-800 ppfd is ideal; with 200 being sufficient. HLG, on their website, mentions < 100 ppfd for seedlings, but I hear others talk about going higher. Can anyone shed any clarity on the schedule on which ppfd can be increased as you transition from late seedling to early veg?
That's really hard to say as I really never payed that much attention to adjustment of lights besides distance through out my grows. Going from seed to sprout I cut them off from light completely. Once the shell drops and the first faux leafs emerge, I have them under full lights at about 18-20 inches so roughly 300-400 ppfd. I let them grow up to about 12 inches off the lights and start raising them from there to maintain 600-800 ppfd though out. Its really hard to give them too much light. I mean if you have a cob rated at 1200 sitting right on top of a seedling you might have some issues, but if your just slightly conservative at first until Id say the first set of true leaves you will be okay.