• Come join us as we welcome Horticulture Lighting Group to the Autoflower Network!

We have an official representative from HLG that will be active on the forum to answer your questions, several units that are coming for our official product testing (grow and show's,) and we'll be working together to provide better information on lighting in general!

Come say hello!
  • Do you LOVE AFN?? bighug We do too!! But we need your help to keep the servers running!

If you feel like AFN has been useful in your journey and would like to help us pay some of the bills, we have a gofundme page setup for donations.
    Any amount that you can spare will be gratefully received

Click [HERE] to donate to AFN

Auto topping thread,pushing the auto limits;)

MonteVerde

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Bag seed weed until my first autorun is finished.
Hi. Noob here. Appreciate all of the help, I’ve gotten through half of this forum.
I am still confused about where to top. I’ve seen all the diagrams, so I thought I should top right above the fourth node, counting from the dirt, but in one of these threads, I read that the first set of leaves after the cotlydons doesn’t count as a node. Can someone enlighten me? First grow, have a OG Kush, Bubblegum, and Jack Herer, all autos, in a Mars 2x2. Day nine. I know that is too many plants for the tent. Didn’t expect them all to germ. Might top at node 3 to keep em smaller footprint.

1630451251518.jpeg

DDubs

Auto Warrior
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
I go at the 5th because it gives me the option of trimming lower, overcrowded, under proforming branches. Basically, whereever you can get a clean cut at 18 days of healthy growing.

Mara Cachafa

Auto Warrior
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
I'm a noob, only topped 4 times so far. I like the results and intend to continue topping every grow. I've been following the advice about ignoring the first set of single-lobe leaves and counting the next as node 1. It seems to be a good rule, because the branches that grow out of the first set of leaves (node zero?) don't seem to grow enough to catch up with the others. I've topped each time above the 4th node, and each time wound up with 8 colas in a flat canopy (journal link below). I hope you will journal your grow, I'd like to follow!

The Iconoclast

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
I've been following the advice about ignoring the first set of single-lobe leaves and counting the next as node 1
It is not good advice. More often than not one of those first pair is the most solid branch for example this Think Big, one of those branches was skinny but the other one was one of the largest. Sure there may be times when it’s good to remove them but you do yourself and the plant an injustice of if you take it gospel

unless you mean the node at the cotyledon leaves

Attachments

Last edited:

MonteVerde

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Bag seed weed until my first autorun is finished.
I go at the 5th because it gives me the option of trimming lower, overcrowded, under proforming branches. Basically, whereever you can get a clean cut at 18 days of healthy growing.
Thanks. That way I can pick and choose which to keep.