• Come join us as we welcome Horticulture Lighting Group to the Autoflower Network!

We have an official representative from HLG that will be active on the forum to answer your questions, several units that are coming for our official product testing (grow and show's,) and we'll be working together to provide better information on lighting in general!

Come say hello!
  • Do you LOVE AFN?? bighug We do too!! But we need your help to keep the servers running!

If you feel like AFN has been useful in your journey and would like to help us pay some of the bills, we have a gofundme page setup for donations.
    Any amount that you can spare will be gratefully received

Click [HERE] to donate to AFN

Auto topping thread,pushing the auto limits;)

MonteVerde

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Bag seed weed until my first autorun is finished.
It is not good advice. More often than not one of those first pair is the most solid branch for example this Think Big, one of those branches was skinny but the other one was one of the largest. Sure there may be times when it’s good to remove them but you do yourself and the plant an injustice of if you take it gospel

unless you mean the node at the cotyledon leaves
Still confused. Right at the cotyledon leaves there is a node, with single leaves. Does that count as node 1? And thanks for the pics and advice.

MonteVerde

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
I'm a noob, only topped 4 times so far. I like the results and intend to continue topping every grow. I've been following the advice about ignoring the first set of single-lobe leaves and counting the next as node 1. It seems to be a good rule, because the branches that grow out of the first set of leaves (node zero?) don't seem to grow enough to catch up with the others. I've topped each time above the 4th node, and each time wound up with 8 colas in a flat canopy (journal link below). I hope you will journal your grow, I'd like to follow!
Thanks. I’m going to go with this rule as well unless I hear something definitive.

The Iconoclast

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
@MonteVerde, there are no rules, there are only guidelines you make your own rules based on your own discoveries. For me what gets cut off and what stays depends on my gut reaction to the structure that I think is going to form. You can top at 2nd 3rd 4th or 5th. So say for example you decide you're going to top at the 4th node and have 4 pairs of main branches, well you could also decide to plant to plants in one pot and top them both at the second node. The cotyledon leaves are the non serrated leaves, The first pair of actual leaves often just have a single leaf. You can see in the shot below, the large leaf coming at you is the first true leaf but there is another branch coming off the cotyledons. I count those as zero.

Attachments

MonteVerde

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
@MonteVerde, there are no rules, there are only guidelines you make your own rules based on your own discoveries. For me what gets cut off and what stays depends on my gut reaction to the structure that I think is going to form. You can top at 2nd 3rd 4th or 5th. So say for example you decide you're going to top at the 4th node and have 4 pairs of main branches, well you could also decide to plant to plants in one pot and top them both at the second node. The cotyledon leaves are the non serrated leaves, The first pair of actual leaves often just have a single leaf. You can see in the shot below, the large leaf coming at you is the first true leaf but there is another branch coming off the cotyledons. I count those as zero.
That’s a great explanation, thank you. I guess the bottom line is that I should top when the plant looks healthy. I’ve got three plants, so maybe I’ll do a different node on each and see what I get.

Mañ'O'Green

Kia ora. Retired to watch the grass grow.
Staff member
AFN Global Moderator
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Dabs of Rosin.
This is @Autobeast thread but he seems to be walk-about? He taught me to top autos and this is what he taught me. Top above the fourth node ASAP and only to a healthy plant.

ScreenHunter_146 Dec. 11 22.18.jpg

DeanOnAuto

The Lunar Planter
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
DP Lemon Kix and AG Chocolate Kush
Hi. Noob here. Appreciate all of the help, I’ve gotten through half of this forum.
I am still confused about where to top. I’ve seen all the diagrams, so I thought I should top right above the fourth node, counting from the dirt, but in one of these threads, I read that the first set of leaves after the cotlydons doesn’t count as a node. Can someone enlighten me? First grow, have a OG Kush, Bubblegum, and Jack Herer, all autos, in a Mars 2x2. Day nine. I know that is too many plants for the tent. Didn’t expect them all to germ. Might top at node 3 to keep em smaller footprint.

View attachment 1361422
Three awesome strains there, you might struggle for space when they get bigger though. :vibes: