Autoflowering Defoliation: Positive or Negative

• Well, we're still working on things and I imagine we'll see some bugs, some breaking, and things that need to get fixed. We'll start on the most critical things first and work our way down. We're still installing add-on's and squaring away some licensing stuff, but feel free to browse the board and we'll update everyone on when things are added, restored, or otherwise changed.

G.Leave

Auto Warrior
Staff member
Global Moderator
Jun 26, 2015
Everyone's got their own ways of doing things, and what's good for some is not quite as good for others.

All variables need to be taken into account. I defoliate, but I've learned not to bother with LST as my setup doesn't allow for much side lighting.

I defoliate when necessary but apart from that I just let them do their thing, in some cases where all the light is coming directly from above with smaller footprints like my LEDs, I think they're best off doing their thing, the plant will grow the way it's most beneficial for it to use the equipment provided.

Nobody can argue with 912s results however, you grow plants that closer resemble trees, simply the biggest autos I've ever seen!
Hopefully you aren't confusing my photoperiod plants, with my autos! The day I can find a quality smoking auto that will grow 30feet around the outer perimeter with 6 feet tall branches, is the day I quit growing photoperiod plants! :D

N

nhdtjq

I am convinced major defoliation is pretty much like a guy shaving his pubs.
It doesn't change the size of his business, it just makes "the bud" appear a little larger, especially to the one that trimmed it.
Touche, same thing with the darkness period before cutting down - the calyxes shrink up, making the hairs and trichomes stand out...

That said i do remove damaged leaves quite often, just for sake of air flow and aesthetics.

Reactions: Garage_Grower

The Iconoclast

the artist formerly known as member420
Oct 6, 2018
Currently Smoking
Think Big
Well after defoliating my OG to within an inch of it's life it looked very sad at the 50 day scrog but ended up producing well over nine zips of quality bud, and even the inside low down buds were hard and well formed. So I'm sold.

Reactions: Mizzo81

Ron Paul

Get off my lawn
May 22, 2018
Currently Smoking
Strawberry Nuggets Critical Purple Sour Livers Northern Lights
Well after defoliating my OG to within an inch of it's life it looked very sad at the 50 day scrog but ended up producing well over nine zips of quality bud, and even the inside low down buds were hard and well formed. So I'm sold.
hmmm...lots of bud covered in mildew, or slightly less bud without any mildew..
thats how i look at it at least. i only remove undergrowth n huge fan leaves if they are smothering other tops..autos seem to do ok with it..
my 2 cents :)

Reactions: rick-j and Mizzo81