• Come join us as we welcome Horticulture Lighting Group to the Autoflower Network!

We have an official representative from HLG that will be active on the forum to answer your questions, several units that are coming for our official product testing (grow and show's,) and we'll be working together to provide better information on lighting in general!

Come say hello!

Can someone possibly identify this medium?

YescaLove

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Can someone please identify this medium? It's from some empty annual flower pots, like Bonnie pots ya know? Super light and moist, I thought it may be peat moss mostly? It's from a Michigan greenhouse.
IMG_20210530_133358.jpg

Mañ'O'Green

Kia ora. Retired to watch the grass grow.
Staff member
AFN Global Moderator
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Dabs of Rosin.

YescaLove

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Thanks for the try manogreen, I thought it was a long shot. I am curious because I want to know how I can use it. There is no perlite or vermiculite in it, but there is small sticks and such. Wanted to know if it's suitable for a hempy bucket medium or more a soil type grow. Nothing in there says soil to me lol it honestly looks like peat but it came with flowers planted in there, nursery cups. So I thought hmm... Could this be used as hempy? I am finishing my last soil grow and switching to hempy. It's easy and kind to me. I'll just toss it in the veggie garden. Thanks again for the time and effort.

elcoloan

Auto Warrior
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
VAPING: Deez Nugs, 24Caratx3BOG, Auto WhiteWidowxBigBud, Black D.O.G., amazingly-tasty-unkown-strain
Thanks for the try manogreen, I thought it was a long shot. I am curious because I want to know how I can use it. There is no perlite or vermiculite in it, but there is small sticks and such. Wanted to know if it's suitable for a hempy bucket medium or more a soil type grow. Nothing in there says soil to me lol it honestly looks like peat but it came with flowers planted in there, nursery cups. So I thought hmm... Could this be used as hempy? I am finishing my last soil grow and switching to hempy. It's easy and kind to me. I'll just toss it in the veggie garden. Thanks again for the time and effort.
I'd do a slurry test for pH... if it's below 5.0, it probably is peat. if possible, also check the EC of the medium (with the slurry or with runoff test) just for curiosity sake.
For a Hempy, I wouldn't use peat. I would really recommend coco coir for the hempy... and while you get a hang of it, coco+perlite or coco+pumice, then you can go all coco.

DCLXVI

Non smoker
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Old Man Kostas, bit of a fool.
I think @elcoloan has the right idea of testing it if you really feel the need to reuse it. Do the slurry test just to see where it sits for ppm and ph. I think the hempy buckets aren't supposed to have any soil in them?

dankstyle J

Auto Warrior
Staff member
AFN Global Moderator
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Biolegend, green poison, ocean grown cookies
I use coco an peat perlite as my medium to me with microbes this is the best medium .I call it living coco or living microbial hydroponics.

elcoloan

Auto Warrior
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
VAPING: Deez Nugs, 24Caratx3BOG, Auto WhiteWidowxBigBud, Black D.O.G., amazingly-tasty-unkown-strain
I use coco an peat perlite as my medium to me with microbes this is the best medium .I call it living coco or living microbial hydroponics.
Noice.... Do you use that mix in Hempy buckets?

dankstyle J

Auto Warrior
Staff member
AFN Global Moderator
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Biolegend, green poison, ocean grown cookies
Noice.... Do you use that mix in Hempy buckets?
No 20 gallon fabric bags I put em in totes with holes in en. I use the lids to collect the excess water