Cannabis and its response to light (a discussion about leaf lift)

• Good morning everyone! So I spent the day installing and upgrading a new add-on for AFN that effects our vendor and breeder forums. It's the same setup that we are using on High of the Tiger, but we didn't realize it would effect members a bit differently here on how it's been received.

The major benefit of the add-on is that it allows breeders/vendors a global calendar (that they add their own events to,) a group media gallery, group discussion area, an information/about tab, and a few other goodies that should make the experience overall a better one.

One major caveat to point out, the new groups (where you see the overlay) unfortuantely *REQUIRE* you to join them in order to post in them. This is done by design of the software (and I understand why,) however it's been requested to see if we can circumvent this somehow. I will inquire to the developer to see if it's an option available or one that can be added to future versions. So to be clear, you MUST JOIN the group to be able to post and reply, even if your existing threads were there before. We apologize for this minor inconvenience but it's a one-time deal and then it's back to business :-)
  • Hey we're testing out our new Raffle/Giveaway software and wanted to invite you all to try it out with us for a chance to win a Smokin' Screws pipe screen!

This will be for USA-based growers only (to start,) and the only requirements are 25 minimum post count to put in an entry (which you can do once per hour!)

Click Here to Enter!
Cannabis Seeds

Eyes on Fire

Guy Smiley
Sep 17, 2013
www.autoflower.net
I see it often actually indoors. I have two or three that are dong that that are only a cpl inches difference and one is the same strain as others.,not doing that leaf lift.

imho there is nothing out of the norm here. I see this often fro hotter soils,aggressive strains and of course lacking slightly or a lot of light/Photons. usually just aggressive and light associated imo. and like Nammy said,in the AM they are ready n roll usually. but just prior to the lights coming on ime,I dont see a lotta leaf lift. it has to do with the photons imo...mostly anyways. swut I see most often anyways. I monitor my plants often as we all do.

005.JPG
025.JPG
026.JPG

pop22

Frankensteins Lab Leader
Gladiator Level 2
Dec 15, 2013
Recently read that some studies are saying that more than 20hours of light may be a waste of electricity. Not sure myself one way or the other.

Your statement in whole is a bit confusing, if cannabis was indeed a "C3 Plant" then they wouldnt have photo-periods. So how would you trigger a photo plant indoors to flower?
Running your lights 24/0 is only getting you a higher power bill, i have never seen improved yields, my self with the lights running all the time.

Groff

Geekazoid
Aug 4, 2012
@wxguy got it right, it’s phototropism. And when the girls are happy in their homes, they’ll work out like athletes instead of being couch potatoes just getting fat on excess transpiration and strong nutes.. Happiness really does bring out the best in them. This is my current grow

Here you can see an Auto Blackberry Kush dance to a 75w light…

SpliffScot

Just Say No... well ok then if I must
May 31, 2015
Currently Smoking
. . . I'm on rations of Grape Crinkle and Beary White till next harvest.
Nice Video - its a shame there was less video towards the end of the grow << re the topic it looked like the plant really showed this off during stretch but less so after ? > Phototopism is the right term as per above and @wxguy- many plants display it (Clover and Wood Sorrels being typical examples which entirely close their leaves at night).

BRICH999

Auto Warrior
Oct 21, 2014
Crazy theory on this ive developed from observing lots of plants: seems pretty well known the plants will do this when they are "happy" and growing well. A leaf serves many purposes but one role is rain collection. With leaves upward pointing they will direct more water toward the center of the plant and eventually center of root mass.

When a plant isnt doing so well it does not use up as much available water, nutes, light etc so to keep the roots from being over saturated they turn leaves downward which would direct water toward the outside on the plant and root mass.

Heavily Medicated

I Grow, Therefore I Am
May 18, 2014
Crazy theory on this ive developed from observing lots of plants: seems pretty well known the plants will do this when they are "happy" and growing well. A leaf serves many purposes but one role is rain collection. With leaves upward pointing they will direct more water toward the center of the plant and eventually center of root mass.

When a plant isnt doing so well it does not use up as much available water, nutes, light etc so to keep the roots from being over saturated they turn leaves downward which would direct water toward the outside on the plant and root mass.
That is really sound reasoning and exactly how mother nature builds in adaptability. Another thought, I usually see this mostly on the top parts of the plant. Could it be that mother nature is raising the tops up some to allow more light to the lower leaves that lay more flat to catch more rays. :pass:

Z_Bop

BOP Collective
Jan 3, 2017
Currently Smoking
Glueberry OG, Night Queen, Kritical Bilbo

That just blew my mind a bit...