• Come join us as we welcome Horticulture Lighting Group to the Autoflower Network!

We have an official representative from HLG that will be active on the forum to answer your questions, several units that are coming for our official product testing (grow and show's,) and we'll be working together to provide better information on lighting in general!

Come say hello!
  • Do you LOVE AFN?? bighug We do too!! But we need your help to keep the servers running!

If you feel like AFN has been useful in your journey and would like to help us pay some of the bills, we have a gofundme page setup for donations.
    Any amount that you can spare will be gratefully received

Click [HERE] to donate to AFN

Clarifying different watering “protocols”

Ben Curley

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Sour Diesel
I have good results with a spray bottle early on. About week four I bottom water a quart of water every three four daze or so. This works for me in 3 gal cloth pots. Of course larger pots would use more water. I have a moisture meter but hardly ever even glance at it. The heavy VS light pot method works the best IMO........

Ben Curley

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Sour Diesel
Twisted cookies at 7 weeks. Very frosty for only 7 weeks!

LearningMore

Auto Warrior
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
So with flood trays, you do wanna keep them topped off, yes. I wouldn’t fill the tray all the way to the tippy top, but 2” to 2.5” of water should be more than enough. As far as using recharge, I guess that would depend. If it’s a liquid, you can let your tray run dry or empty the tray, then mix 1-2 gallons or whatever the smallest amount you can use is, then pour that into the tray and let them drink it up. When it’s gone, rinse out your tray and go back to normal pH’d water. If it’s a powder, you’ll need to top-water it in as needed. As far as wetting the top inch or so of soil... I guess that’s kinda growers choice. Personally, I don’t worry too much about it. Nothing much living in that top inch, or nothing useful. Mostly just fungus gnat larvae. So I let the top part dry out. Since I don’t use trays full time, the top stays pretty dry. But in my constant feed AutoPots, the top is moist because they’re sitting in 2” of water constantly.

If you are able to source the materials, have you thought about building your own super soil, or even using a pre-bagged “water only” super soil? I’ve found great success using super soil, mycorrhizae, bottom watering, and autoflowers. Took a couple plants to find my stride, of course. Hopefully I answered your questions, and I apologize for the 24 hour delay in response.
Thanks for the response - I didn’t even notice the delay as I’ve been sourcing parts and repairing a busted pipe thanks to the deep-freeze.

As this is my first grow (well, second set of seeds after my LEDs burned my first go), I’m trying to “keep it simple” and learn the basics. I have an endless supply of compost thanks to my chickens/goats/sheep, so I have done some reading about building my own soil, but still have a lot to learn on that. I’m hoping on future grows I can experiment with different soil/compost/amendment mixtures rather than just buying soil each time.

Death The Cultivator

H20 • Photons • Smoke
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Zamadelica x Kali China
Thanks for the response - I didn’t even notice the delay as I’ve been sourcing parts and repairing a busted pipe thanks to the deep-freeze.

As this is my first grow (well, second set of seeds after my LEDs burned my first go), I’m trying to “keep it simple” and learn the basics. I have an endless supply of compost thanks to my chickens/goats/sheep, so I have done some reading about building my own soil, but still have a lot to learn on that. I’m hoping on future grows I can experiment with different soil/compost/amendment mixtures rather than just buying soil each time.
Have you looked at Build A Soils Coot Recipe for living soil?

LearningMore

Auto Warrior
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Update: I did an experiment with the stunted seedlings and transplanted half into Happy Frog. I also upped my lights and increased my watering. After the seedlings that I moved into good soil started to outgrow the others significantly, I moved the rest to HF as well. I’ll try to add pics shortly as I‘d appreciate feedback on whether you think ANY yield is possible... One of the plants has weird discoloration - my guess is due to the pH flux from the alkaline soil to the good stuff (and possibly lockout, of course), but anything I can learn is appreciated.

Attachments

LearningMore

Auto Warrior
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Second update: most of the plants seem to be coming along, though about 2/3 are pretty stunted. I have the space, so I plan to see them through to the end. One of the plants that was centered under the light had just a bit of the top leaf tip curling down this morning (but no bleaching), so I moved it to the periphery. Everyone else is growing happily toward the light. I have not increased the intensity further since they’re getting closer on their own. Is this correct management? Don’t increase light any further until in full flower? Thanks
@Mañ'O'Green @Growtogrow

Attachments