• Come join us as we welcome Horticulture Lighting Group to the Autoflower Network!

We have an official representative from HLG that will be active on the forum to answer your questions, several units that are coming for our official product testing (grow and show's,) and we'll be working together to provide better information on lighting in general!

Come say hello!
  • Do you LOVE AFN?? bighug We do too!! But we need your help to keep the servers running!

If you feel like AFN has been useful in your journey and would like to help us pay some of the bills, we have a gofundme page setup for donations.
    Any amount that you can spare will be gratefully received

Click [HERE] to donate to AFN

Coco-Hempy-DWC Hybrid

SmokeMoreMeph

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
So I wanted to share a little method I've been using.

You take a 5 gallon bucket and about 6" up you drill a hole.

Put hydroton (I used rocks but don't recommend) up to right at the hole.

Have a bubbler at the bottom of the hydroton, it can go through the same hole you used for drainage or make a new hole, doesn't matter.

From the hydroton to the top use coco or a coco perlite mix.

What I like about this is you kinda get the best of both worlds, you get really fast growth when the roots get into the DWC area, but also you get the ease of planting right into the coco and not having to wait for the roots to hit the water.

You also get the advantage of the hole like a hempy so you can just add water whenever you want to help "refresh" the DWC portion without having to empty the bucket.

I've only done this twice and these pics are from my current attempt (2nd). But I think it's a fun idea.

Plants 21 days old in the photo.
TimePhoto_20210618_191957.jpg

CannabisMingus

Forget the failures. Keep the lessons. –Dalai Lama
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Toof Decay
I love experimentation - looking forward to your progress.

JSH1973

Auto Warrior
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
I have been thinking about something very similar but for small plants/pots, I would put a tap at the bottom to be able to drain the bucket easily if/when needed.