Dollar Tree Meets Wally World: Grow Meds On The Cheap

NateNobody

Auto Warrior
Apr 1, 2018
Currently Smoking
Critical+ 2.0, Bloody Skunk, 2Fast 2Vast
What's up, AFN? As promised in the " Welcome Operation Compassion Care", I am starting a thread to grow, start to finish, for $100. Since I wrote that this morning, I've realized that I need to clarify. If you are able to grow in a small closet/cabinet area (2'x2' or more) without worrying about neighbors, or, if you have a small area outside, then you can definitely grow for $100 or less. If you are in close quarters, add another $50 or so for carbon filter and ducting.

Alright brothers and sisters, I worked late today, but I still stopped by Dollar Tree and Walmart to show you how cheap you can get the bare essentials, plus a bit more of what you need to grow, if you know where to look and are willing to invest a little time. I spent 30 minutes between the 2 stores taking these pics to give a basic example. When I have more time, I will spend a few bucks and put one of these little "Grow Totes" together, to show how easy it is. You can pull 2-3oz out of one of these every 60-70 days easy. This is based on 1/2g-3gal containers, depending on your individual limitations. Lighting requirements 120-150w give or take. If anyone else has a suggestion, tutorial, etc. along these lines, fill free to post.

Medium Potting Soil:
DSCN1114.JPG

Perlite: Makes the soil airy, fluffy to help drainage and speed up wet/dry cycle in soil.
DSCN1112.JPG

DSCN1113.JPG

Nutrients: I am going with organics here.....totally up to you, but this is an easy kind of a "hassel free" way to grow. This also has macro/micro nutrients(very important), and this 4-3-4 will go start to finish. You will hear most growers say that you need high levels of phosphorus through flower; not true. Plants use mostly nitrogen, calcium and potassium; even cannabis and even in flower. They need much less phosphorus than n and k. I've grown with the bloom food, and with this Azalea food. I had the yellowing leaves from not enough nitrogen during flower using bloom nutes . The 4-3-4 gave no deficiencies throughout the grow, and it DOES NOT affect the color of the bud. If the plant is prone to show colors, then the buds will show color while the leaves stay green and beautiful.
DSCN1116.JPG

DSCN1115.JPG

DSCN1117.JPG

Or this:
DSCN1119.JPG

DSCN1118.JPG

Dollar Tree Air Pots: (or whatever your local $1 store is called) This is roughly 8gal
DSCN1132.JPG

The one on the left 8g, on the right 3.5g and each cost $1
DSCN1126.JPG

I use a roll of weed barrier to put inside pots as inserts, but I have also used news paper with the same results; just not reusable.

DSCN1106.JPG

DSCN1104.JPG

I was trying to put in a link to 1000Bulbs.com, but having trouble with site. They have 26w full spectrum cfl bulbs for $3.83 each.($22.98 for 6+ $10 s/h) $33.00 for 156w of full spec lighting....pretty cheap.

I use these Wally World surge protectors. I would just get the cheapest piece of plyboard that I could find, and drill holes just big enough to run tie wraps through to hold the surge protectors to the board.
DSCN1124.JPG

DSCN1123.JPG

Last, but not least, socket adapters x 6
DSCN1122.JPG

I rounded up, and these items come to roughly $92. You can easily set up a small 2'x2' closet grow with this. You can also buy a 30g tote(additional $6 at Walmart), and smaller pots, and build a small (1/2gal-1gal) 2-4 pot grow. I think I will do a build out tutorial soon, and then send the tote cab to a vet.

Okay guys and gals, I am too tired to spell check, but I hope this shows just a bit of what can be done "On The Cheap". :peace:

Last edited:

NateNobody

Auto Warrior
Apr 1, 2018
Currently Smoking
NIce work!! Could you get the pics uploaded directly, so they are directly in the tutorial, instead of showing as attachments?
Thanks 912. Yeah, I did all of this in the wrong section. I started in the conversation section. The pics showed great there. Then when I copied and saved to move the thread, that is how they came out. Now the site won't let me edit. I will try to fix it tomorrow. Right now I need some sleep. Peace brother

G.Leave

Auto Warrior
Staff member
Global Moderator
Jun 26, 2015
Thanks 912. Yeah, I did all of this in the wrong section. I started in the conversation section. The pics showed great there. Then when I copied and saved to move the thread, that is how they came out. Now the site won't let me edit. I will try to fix it tomorrow. Right now I need some sleep. Peace brother
Hey...thanks for taking the time to do this....we need all the detailed tutorials we can get!! Check out the guides and tutorials section when you have some free time...i would be interested to hear what you think of the articles i wrote.
Take it easy

G.Leave

Auto Warrior
Staff member
Global Moderator
Jun 26, 2015
Gave you some reputation for your efforts.

NateNobody

Auto Warrior
Apr 1, 2018
Currently Smoking
Maybe we can request @Dudeski moves this to tutorials section? (if you would prefer it there @NateNobody , it'll get buried in indoor unless made a sticky)
Thanks brother. Sorry everyone, still getting acclimated here. @Dudeski, please fill free to move this to tutorials. Thanks for the help and the rep 912. Have a good night brother

NateNobody

Auto Warrior
Apr 1, 2018
Currently Smoking
Hey...thanks for taking the time to do this....we need all the detailed tutorials we can get!! Check out the guides and tutorials section when you have some free time...i would be interested to hear what you think of the articles i wrote.
Take it easy
I will check out your offering to the green gods, brother. I'm sure there's plenty great info that we can borrow from you. :peace:

NateNobody

Auto Warrior
Apr 1, 2018
Currently Smoking
Got the pics sorted out. I need to clarify that I did not include the weed barrier cost of $8, since I mentioned using old newspaper as an insert, but that would put you right at $100. :peace: