Drying in summer?

LearningMore

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
I am slowly approaching my first harvest. I’ve read extensively about drying/curing, and the general guidelines seem to shoot for 60/60 environment. I have a separate tent for drying (2x4 with infinity T6 and a small fan for gentle air circulation, not on the buds; small humidifier on inkbird in case the RH gets too low), but it’s summer in the south. 60 degrees isn’t happening. If temps are in the low-mid 70s, does that change what I should aim for, ambient tent RH-wise? Any other helpful tips appreciated.

sidfinch

Long-time listener, first-time caller
Reaction score
Website
gonejah.com
I'm doing it nearly the exact same, but it's my first time with this method after trying a few different ones with varied success. I wasn't able to keep the temp/rh in the half bath, closet, cardboard box, etc. anywhere near as consistent as the drying tent.

I still think you want 60% rh, a temp higher than 60 degrees will likely dry it faster than you'd like but I'm in the same boat - I can do low-mid 70's but it isn't going to be 60 degrees in my house until October.

One thing I've learned, or maybe it's just better for my situation, pulling them a day early and having to burp jars is WAY better than a day late and trying to get some moisture back in.

Also, get the mini temp/rh sensors and try to avoid the moisture packs unless you dry it out too much (below 60).

sidfinch

Long-time listener, first-time caller
Reaction score
Website
gonejah.com
im a huge brown paper bag guy i dry absolutely everything in them but I have only 1 tent that I grow year around in
What's the temp/rh in the space you keep those in, is it the same 60/60 target?

St. Tom

chillin like a villain
Staff member
Super Gladiator
AFN Global Moderator
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Whatever s in my jars
What's the temp/rh in the space you keep those in, is it the same 60/60 target?
i put them in bags room temp no meters etc and I've never lost a bud to mould and sometimes I have about 10 bags at once but id say my rh is never lower that 50 rh in the rooms but I've done it that many times now I don't even worry about issues as it never happens . then I just get it to about 60 pcent rh and them put it to start the cure in my grove bags I used to use mason jars but these bags do all that and it's better for big amount s than jars
20210504_204608.jpg

LearningMore

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
I'm doing it nearly the exact same, but it's my first time with this method after trying a few different ones with varied success. I wasn't able to keep the temp/rh in the half bath, closet, cardboard box, etc. anywhere near as consistent as the drying tent.

I still think you want 60% rh, a temp higher than 60 degrees will likely dry it faster than you'd like but I'm in the same boat - I can do low-mid 70's but it isn't going to be 60 degrees in my house until October.

One thing I've learned, or maybe it's just better for my situation, pulling them a day early and having to burp jars is WAY better than a day late and trying to get some moisture back in.

Also, get the mini temp/rh sensors and try to avoid the moisture packs unless you dry it out too much (below 60).
With all the shortages, I’ve been stocking up long before I even had seedlings. Mason jars, mini hygrometers (already checked the calibration - within 2% for the batch, surprisingly), and have some Boveda 62 ready just in case. It’s been a rougher road getting near my first harvest than I had expected, but trying to be prepared for everything. I’ll definitely follow your advice about pulling from dry tent sooner than later - makes a lot of sense.

Mañ'O'Green

Retired to watch the grass grow.
Staff member
AFN Global Moderator
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Dabs of Rosin.
I live in the San Joaquin Valley of California, it is a frikin desert. Drying is a challenge here as the RH can go to zero on summer days. I have had buds get too dry in 3 days! It is hard to do bags when you have harvest volumes like mine. I am getting better about stagering my harvests but if the plants are ready they come down. I often have to put them in glass with Boost to get them back up to 62% then they go into Grove Bags. When I am able to harvest one or two plants at a time I take them off the line a day or two early, then I use use bags to "sweat" them before they go into Grove bags. This is my preferred method but you have to roll with the punches.

Frogger

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
GG#4, Ghost train, Acapulco Gold, Blue Dream ect. ect.
have a read here uses brown paper bags & a refrigerator .... really extends the amount of time for your dry :biggrin:

Bill.de.Cat

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Good idea, I will most likely be upgrading fridge and will have the old handy to try this out.