1. Black Friday deals? Click here!

Dismiss Notice

Effects of Light Intensity on Plant Growth

Discussion in 'Autoflower Guides & Tutorials: How to Grow' started by Olde School Player, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Olde School Player

Olde School Player Celebrating 44th anniversary of my 1st grow

Currently Smoking:
    Humboldt Green Crack (dwindling photoperiod), TH Seeds Auto Original Bubblegum, Beef Brisket, Boston Butt Pork Roast
    @BigSm0 thanks for the input, much appreciated. I understand all the other parameters that go into stellar grows & truly feel I have those nailed. Consistent 8 to almost-12 oz yields off single-plant auto grows attest to that. Even the "fails" I have, by most growers' standards, are very good at 4+oz. yields, again off single-plant grows. But I've done better & want to return to consistently hitting 8 - to - 12 oz yields for each round, and there are others who even beat that. I can't do that with my current lights and grow methods. So I have to get over "what I know" & figure out what I don't know. I'll be dropping an order to you early this week.

I don't want to change too many things at once, but I am interested in this new nutrient line you've spoken about. If you can post particulars of where to get it I think I'll work that into my schedule for this year. Maybe grow with current nutes under your new COB's and new nutes under my old lighting systems. Change only one thing at a time that way.

Thanks again, You're a good Man to have on this Forum.

Slater, Nosias, BigSm0 and 3 others like this.
  2. BigSm0

BigSm0 C O B S H O P . N E T AFN Authorized Vendor

What a relief. I can tell by your text we are a lot a like. Makes perfect sense to slowly change things instead of all at once. I also wasn’t sure how advanced you were but it does seem like you are doing very well. The lights should make a noticeable improvement. The nutrients are almost to good to pass up. Greenleaf nutrients sells megacrop which is basically a one part line- not really a line after all. If you are buying lights id hold off on picking anything up. In the box will be a code for a nice sized sample for you.

3. Olde School Player

Currently Smoking:
    Humboldt Green Crack (dwindling photoperiod), TH Seeds Auto Original Bubblegum, Beef Brisket, Boston Butt Pork Roast
    Cool, appreciate the follow up. I'm moderately experienced, this is the 44th year since my first outdoor grow & indoors pure hydro since 2002. Done a little bit of it all. But I refuse to ever think I know it all; that's what I meant when I said I "... have to get over "what I know" & figure out what I don't know." Got to keep learning.
    I'll drop you a PM when I place the order just so you know it's me.

Slater and stedimed like this.
  4. midIN

midIN always learning.

Currently Smoking:
    granddy purp
    I don't know but my cobs do make me feel like I have a little chunks of the sun to play with. And using the mega with them, Im so happy with my results so far that it's hard to tell where my auto skills actually stand, I know I've learned from the ones ran so far but having these two items and my past photo experience I feel on top of my growing game, and my freezer full of ice cream and Reese's peanut butter items seem to be getting hit harder than usual.

Slater and stedimed like this.
  5. Olde School Player

Currently Smoking:
    Hey midIN, just ordered mine & looking forward to another grow to see if this adds any more knowledge to my search for plant stretch answers. I'm going to give the mega a chance as well, but that will be separate from the next COB grow. Got to look at ingredients / source of each nute & look at micronutrient contents as well. Excited to try something new!

Freezer full of ice cream????? I'm filling mine with smoked pork & brisket, but I did just try a grilled salmon recipe that's off the chart. Going to keep up with that one every week & make my Dr. happy :muahaha:

Slater, Nosias and midIN like this.
  6. midIN

midIN always learning.

Currently Smoking:
    granddy purp
    Glad to hear that. I love my deep freezers I pack them full, got one for pig one for beef, got a wte one and a ice cream only only in the shop. U will love the mega and cobs together, its got me in growing frenzy, gonna max out my sodk with 4-5g mega in a 2gal bag and try to vine her along the back side of my tent on bamboo stakes I have stretched across it, hopefully she makes a wall of buds in the backdrop.

Slater, Nosias and Olde School Player like this.
  7. Olde School Player

Currently Smoking:
    Continuing my update on TH Seeds' Auto Original BubbleGum. Today is day 49 (of 79 to 84 est.) and she's putting on weight by the day. Some of the pistils are starting to die off, so I took a look at trich's today. They are still all clear, so another 3-4 weeks? Wouldn't surprise me if this one finishes a bit earlier. Light is still hanging at 20", tent temps stable between 68 - 78F, reservoir temps stable in high 60's. Nute regimen stable at mid-bloom #2, 50% strength, 1030 - 1050ppm.
    Since I throttled down my centrifugal fan to 31watts (of 71 max-draw) and started running it 24X7, odor has been non-existent. Before I throttled, one hour after lights out / fan-off the whole downstairs was beginning to reek. When I open the tent now, the aroma is changing a bit from tropical to a hint of rotten fruit, with maybe a touch of skunk. Still some sweetness but now with some whang to it (WTF is whang … I know, do you??? :shrug:).

I took this pic today, just after lights-out. I LST my girls for an even canopy, so if I shoot the pic from level you can't see between her legs where all the good stuff is, and scale is not readily apparent. This angle is from above, about 45 degrees looking down, so length is a bit distorted. For scale, the water bottle lodged between the two back buds is a standard 16.9oz / 500mL bottle, 8" in length, and the bud is longer than the bottle. The bud to the right of the bottle is the largest secondary. The original primary cola (front, just right of center) is about 4" longer and even larger in diameter. Even the lowest secondary buds, where you would normally expect popcorn, are as big as tangerines & rock solid. I'm beginning to be impressed, if I do say so myself.

Let's see what the next 3 - 4 weeks bring. But so far, veg & transition under HID and bloom under LED settling @ 20" is doing its job. I got the stretch I needed to open her up, and all the inter-node colas have filled in to their full potential. I should have enough sugar leaves for some ISO Hash or ointment, but I don't think I'll have ANY popcorn from this hottie.
    :dancer::woody:

[​IMG]

Slater, Nosias and MedGrower like this.
  8. Olde School Player

Currently Smoking:
    Oh... on the light intensity theory. I ordered two 3500K COB's from BigSm0, they should be delivered next week, but that will be a fall project when I don't have so much fun stuff to do outdoors & I can run two tents. Hiawatha National Forest is calling with tons of smallmouth and unfettered wilderness camping with a REAL Kelty tent instead of a fake-tent grow-tent. But until Fall gets here, I'm continuing to think. I've been fooled before, but based upon other growers' experiences I'm expecting good stretch from the COB's.
    Lower intensity, yes. Better spectrum? Probably. But which of these parameters will restore the stretch I ALWAYS see from my HID grows?

Another thought to continue the spectrum Vs intensity research is to disable some of the drivers in my MARS Pro-II -128. For a self-enclosed "system" style, this is a decent light - see pic below. It uses four banks of lights, each bank holding (8) mini-reflectors and each mini-reflector containing (4) five-watt Cree LED's, driven at approx. 50% to pull 325W at wall. The reflectors are open mesh so the cooling fan draw keeps heat well managed for no premature LED failure. Reflectors are at a 100 degree angle, and spectrums are rated at 440nm, 630nm,660nm. Configured with veg-only and veg+bloom lighting modes.
    I don't know how many LED's of each rating are used, but final spectrum is claimed to be 2700k-3000k. So yes, it's a decent light and
    I would not hesitate to recommend it to any grower with limited headroom who could not tolerate stretch. But in case you haven't noticed yet, I WANT STRETCH. And 2700-3000K is so close to my HID ratings (2900K) that I get REALLY confused why my plants wont stretch. Is the spectrum rating wrong? The light is pink / purple when viewed with the naked eye so I know it's not a real full spectrum / white light. Could be an incorrect rating?
    WTF ...

But back to reasoning this out. My thought is that if I disable two of the four banks of LED's (probably disable the two center banks & run the outer / angled ones), then light intensity will be reduced by half. THEN by raising the light higher, I can use the squared / distance rule for further reduction to see if that will induce stretch.

I don't want to trash the light, I've only used it for a couple of grows and it wasn't cheap ($420USD). So if anyone has the experience to talk me through how to disable two banks of lights, I'd appreciate it. I have basic electrical skills but am NOT a lighting engineer. Maybe it's a simple as disconnecting a power supply? Haven't looked yet and don't really want to tear into the housing until I get some good advice.
    [​IMG]
    So the light intensity / drifting toward spectrum topic continues. Like my boss told me once when I was grumbling about how unrealistic what he asked for really was -
    "Just because it's hard doesn't mean we won't do it."
    And then something about ".... sucks to be you" as he was rolling on the floor.

So here's the bounty:
    Answers - I'll give you a dollar.
    Correct answers - five dollars.
    Dumb looks - those are free. Plus you get a kick in the nuts. I'm an old retired fooker so I can be as grouchy as I want.

9. fettled6

fettled6 Hydro and DIY chum(p)!

Hey mate,

Thought I'd pop by with some data!

This is from my 2lt bottle fun grow but as the bottle is a mini version of my usual hydro grow, results should be comparable when I report on a different light source or variation to the parameters, might help nail down further areas of exploration (more on that at the tail end of this post)

Ok, so;

Zamnesia Auto "Critical" day 14.
    Squirtponics, clayballs (done this 100's of times)

110w t5 ''starlight" (type) 6100k
    10"/250mm from seedling
    Lux reading 250,000
    GH FloraNova Bloom + mammoth P
    EC @ 0.4
    Rez temp @ 20c
    20c/50RH (colder than usual)
    24/0 light cycle
    pH is 6.5 (a bit higher than usual)

Plant is displaying text book growth and structure from my experience using this starter light and my usual routine, slightly slower start than soil or Coco but then much vigour! Tight node spacings and familiar timing of development.

I have had seedlings of 4 or 5 days old under 600w MH and seen the dreaded seedling stretch and suspect that may be intensity promoting stretch as opposed to the plant needing to increace surface area for the same amount of energy absorbtion.. if you follow.

I'll follow up with data on my next germ in a week or so and when I fire my bigger lamps!

If the data is useful cool! If not then disregard lol

I've got 600w MH/HPS and 860w CMH to ponder over and probably some new cobs soon! I also need to know how to keep that beloved controllable stretch!

:thumbsup:

f6

stedimed likes this.
  10. Olde School Player

Currently Smoking:
    @fettled6 thanks for the update, pic's welcomed as well when you get time. I've had good luck with veg under T-5 as well; only reason I abandoned them was the form factor; 4' length did not fit in my veg area.
    Could you elaborate on the comment "...slightly slower start than soil or Coco but then much vigour!" Does that mean they are slow to start but then zoom ahead like crazy?
    I grow exclusively in clay pebbles, and one of the things I REALLY like is the speed at which my plants would stretch during veg under HID lighting. I've had plants hit 16" tall in two weeks, which is super trainable. My node spacing has been several inches, which I actually like. As the plant transitions from veg to bloom, the internodal spacings grow together and I end up with massive buds that really pack on the weight. Witness past pic's on this thread of my latest BubbleGum grow. She started lanky but as transition moved into full bloom she has filled in beautifully. I'm hoping for 9-10+ oz off this girl when she is harvested, which, incidentally, appears to be way ahead of schedule of any past grows of this strain. Today the trich's are mostly cloudy and showing a few ambers, and it's only day 53. This strain normally runs 70+ days.
    Shit... wait... that's only 17 days away, duhhhhhh. Maybe she is on target.
    Seedling stretch under metal halide? Hmmm, can't say I have, but then I always keep my seedlings under CFL at 2" above the plant until a strong root formation is set and plants are at least three nodes high. Once I do this and drop them in the hydroton under the "big" light, they just take off!!! But point being, CFL and HO fluorescent has always worked great for me and you. I have no reason to change that.
    Looking forward to seeing what that big CMH does for you, keep me clued in.
    Got my two 3500K COB's from BigSm0 yesterday. I'll be hanging and starting them this fall when it starts getting too cold to spend most of my time outdoors. We'll see; that one will deserve a grow thread for sure.
    OK, off for errands, check you later.

Slater and fettled6 like this.
Tags: