• Come join us as we welcome Horticulture Lighting Group to the Autoflower Network!

We have an official representative from HLG that will be active on the forum to answer your questions, several units that are coming for our official product testing (grow and show's,) and we'll be working together to provide better information on lighting in general!

Come say hello!
  • Do you LOVE AFN?? bighug We do too!! But we need your help to keep the servers running!

If you feel like AFN has been useful in your journey and would like to help us pay some of the bills, we have a gofundme page setup for donations.
    Any amount that you can spare will be gratefully received

Click [HERE] to donate to AFN

Effects of Light Intensity on Plant Growth

Olde School Player

Celebrating 44th anniversary of my 1st grow
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Dinafem Blue Cheese Auto, FastBuds' RhinoRyder (Medicine Man), FastBuds GorillaGlue
Thanks to you all for the kind words & the rep's!
While we're here, I'm having some thoughts on the Rhino Ryder. Please feel free to share your experiences.

All my past grows have averaged 14 days to show good flower. This one is 30 days from 4-node seedling transplant and STILL ain't there yet. Showing a FEW preflowers, just two-pistil groups that you REALLY have to look closely to find them. Basically she is still in a healthy vegetative growth state where she's putting on good branching infrastructure across the canopy.

So the question is... is it possible to trigger a "slow" auto by shortening daylight time? That's a photoperiod plant trait, does it apply / will it work here?

Is there even such a thing as a "slow" auto?
Have I been mind-scanned by modern interweb propaganda to imprint that term? I've seen it referenced somewhere before, but I don't have firsthand experience with auto's not blooming, so I don't know. Question what you don't know, then ask your friends.

So if I have a "slow" auto, what is the minimum lights-off time that will encourage bloom?
I know 12 / 12 will induce a shovel handle to bloom with the right nutes. I also know that
every hour of light on a plant contributes to better yield, up to a point. So if I can grow 18 / 6 and force bloom, I'd rather do that than drop all the way to 12 /12.
More likely, this is a not-quite-stable phenotype with not-quite-enough autoflower genes. But that doesn't do anything to induce bloom for me with this plant.

So yesterday I dropped the light cycle from 20 / 4 to 18 / 6. Unless someone can educate me to a better way, I'll give that a few days before considering a further reduction. And if I need to drop it again, will 16 / 8 be the next stop?​

Anyone with knowledge here, please post in. I don't want to bite the bullet and drop the lights to 12 / 12 unless I have to.

puggle6

HydroPotato!
Reaction score
Hey man, great result on that BC! :drool:

I've had some stubborn autos, all were Sativa's Dom and have had tried a few things to trigger them.

36-48hrs of light deprivision along with a drop to 12/12 for 5 days seemed to do the trick. I was then able to run 18/6

They were under t5 and blurples 24/0 then went to 600w HPS 20/4 then 18/6 as they were not progressing before trying the above.

Your mileage may vary but that is my experience.

f6

Last edited:

puggle6

HydroPotato!
Reaction score
Next grow I'm going with 6x 3500k CBX3590 on 2x Bluetooth controlled drivers.

The array will be 3 + 3 in a star of David pattern in a 4x4x8 tent over 4 hydro autoflowers.

Now what I plan to do for the most part is use the Bluetooth app to mimic sunrise and sunset.

However, when the little buggers get stretching I plan to program the each overlayed set of 3 to one set dimming while one set get brighter!

The idea is I can make then stop shooting to the sky and change direction!

I could do it over short or longer time frames and mix and match any amount of combinations of intensity shift.

The app is called Avi on

What do you guys recon?

f6

Olde School Player

Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Dinafem Blue Cheese Auto, FastBuds' RhinoRyder (Medicine Man), FastBuds GorillaGlue
Thanks @fettled6 So to make sure I understand your experience, 18 / 6 didn't do it? And it took 36-48 total darkness, followed by a drop to 12/12 for five days, after which 18/6 worked for the remainder of the grow?
The leaf structure on this Rhino Ryder definitely looks sativa with the narrow leaves, but waaaayyyy too early to see if the top cola structure will look sativa as well.
This is a change in grow technique for me as well. I started under one of @BigSm0 's 55W COB's, the 3500K version, and as soon as LST started I hung a second one. The plant is showing very good vegetative growth, keeping me busy leaf pruning to promote good top growth on every branch, just not showing flower. I've already started today's 18 / 6 lights-on cycle but I think tomorrow at noon I will start the 48 hours of darkness, followed by 12 / 12 for five days.

@Autotron You and I discussed your similar problem with your last grow but I don't recall what it took to get yours to full bloom? If memory serves, some slight reduction in light cycle didn't do it so it took 12 / 12? I think we felt you ended up with a full-on photoperiod, which could be / might be different from what I'm seeing....

@HemiSync @Waira @MedCzech any similar experiences with your past grows? I'm going to try mimicking F6's experience with light cycle, but your thoughts welcomed as well. Based upon F6's experience, I think there really IS such a thing as a "slow" auto? If it holds full bloom after returning to 18 / 6 that's confirmation.

Autotron

I used to smoke weed. I still do,but I used to too
Reaction score
Thanks @fettled6 So to make sure I understand your experience, 18 / 6 didn't do it? And it took 36-48 total darkness, followed by a drop to 12/12 for five days, after which 18/6 worked for the remainder of the grow?
The leaf structure on this Rhino Ryder definitely looks sativa with the narrow leaves, but waaaayyyy too early to see if the top cola structure will look sativa as well.
This is a change in grow technique for me as well. I started under one of @BigSm0 's 55W COB's, the 3500K version, and as soon as LST started I hung a second one. The plant is showing very good vegetative growth, keeping me busy leaf pruning to promote good top growth on every branch, just not showing flower. I've already started today's 18 / 6 lights-on cycle but I think tomorrow at noon I will start the 48 hours of darkness, followed by 12 / 12 for five days.

@Autotron You and I discussed your similar problem with your last grow but I don't recall what it took to get yours to full bloom? If memory serves, some slight reduction in light cycle didn't do it so it took 12 / 12? I think we felt you ended up with a full-on photoperiod, which could be / might be different from what I'm seeing....

@HemiSync @Waira @MedCzech any similar experiences with your past grows? I'm going to try mimicking F6's experience with light cycle, but your thoughts welcomed as well. Based upon F6's experience, I think there really IS such a thing as a "slow" auto? If it holds full bloom after returning to 18 / 6 that's confirmation.
Yeah, I was thinking your new plant sounds a lot like mine! Mine went something like 50-60 days before flowering. It's hard for me to decisively say that the reduction in light worked or if it took 12/12. I was pretty impatient at that point, so didn't give it too long on 18/6. If you are more patient than I was, I'd say give it a couple weeks on 18/6 or 16/8 and see if that does the trick. If you don't see anything convincing by then, I'd flip it to 12/12.

Olde School Player

Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Yeah, I was thinking your new plant sounds a lot like mine! Mine went something like 50-60 days before flowering. It's hard for me to decisively say that the reduction in light worked or if it took 12/12. I was pretty impatient at that point, so didn't give it too long on 18/6. If you are more patient than I was, I'd say give it a couple weeks on 18/6 or 16/8 and see if that does the trick. If you don't see anything convincing by then, I'd flip it to 12/12.
Yeah, it comes back to me now... we were pretty well convinced yours was a photoperiod that made it into an auto order.
I too, am impatient, and don't want to wait too long, so starting tomorrow I'm going to start F6's solution & hoping for same / similar results. And trolling for comments from any of our other experienced growers that may have seen this.
BTW, I'm doubtful I also have a photoperiod accident seed; Fast Buds is auto-only. Excluding breeding stock, but I can't see seed production and breeding research getting a chance to get mixed up....

puggle6

HydroPotato!
Reaction score
Yeah, it comes back to me now... we were pretty well convinced yours was a photoperiod that made it into an auto order.
I too, am impatient, and don't want to wait too long, so starting tomorrow I'm going to start F6's solution & hoping for same / similar results. And trolling for comments from any of our other experienced growers that may have seen this.
BTW, I'm doubtful I also have a photoperiod accident seed; Fast Buds is auto-only. Excluding breeding stock, but I can't see seed production and breeding research getting a chance to get mixed up....
Mine were from a maverick breeder that's name comes up occasionally, all the FB I grew were top notch!

Hope the fix works, I recall it was only 4 days of 12/12 so that might save you a day. See how you go

Edit, actually iirc it was weird, they didn't stretch or do anything in preflower just slowly, and I mean slowly got bigger without producing flower, will not be growing his again although it was quite pleasent!

Last edited: