1. AFN branded gear available! Shirts, Mugs, Mouse/Dab Pads, Keychains, Magnets, Stickers, etc... Stop by the Merchandise Thread to see samples! Custom Work Welcomed! PM Rebel for details!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's back for season 2! ... This is one of the most fun, diverse Comp's we run, full of thrills, chills and spills! So slap that helmet on, grab your best beans and start bustin' moves... Boooiiiii! ... just check in with our fab' MC 912GreenSkell.....
    Dismiss Notice
  3. GO Canada.............
    Dismiss Notice

Feeding for Flavor: Enhancing Terpenes

Discussion in 'Nutrients & Additives' started by VitaMan, May 20, 2018.

1. VitaMan

VitaMan Let the music play!

Currently Smoking:
    Blue Cheese, LSD-25, AutoMazar.3
    OK. Molasses helps, Terpinator etc are good, and Organics and microbes gets the tastiest weed.

There were some GH sweeteners that promised to give weed fruit flavors. I always thought "If I want blueberry, I will grow blueberry!"

But since then, I have been wondering if there are natural ways to enhance a plant's terpene and flavonoid characteristics? For example, if I sweeten a Blue Cheese with blueberry juice instead of molasses, will it help the plant bring out it's natural blueberry characteristic? Would it work similarly to the flavored products mentioned above?

Let's bat around any ideas and share information on feeding our plants for flavor!

fettled6 likes this.
  2. fettled6

fettled6 Hydro and DIY chum(p)!

Floralicious from GH definitely helps get the nostril hairs curling, use it all the way through. Not sure if the flavors improve tho, but certainly more pungent smell both during growth and cured product.

I've grown plenty with really lovely smells and flavors but never overly intense! Like you I would love to learn how to really get the aromatics going!

VitaMan likes this.
  3. fettled6

fettled6 Hydro and DIY chum(p)!

Oh, apparently Beet juice or syrup is an alternative to molasses.. was going to try that with mammoth p when I get my hands on some!

VitaMan likes this.
  4. VitaMan

Currently Smoking:
    Makes sense, there is a "molasses" from Sugar Beets in Canada. Supposed to be very iron-rich. I've only used traditional cane molasses though. I'd be curious to see if there is a difference in results between the two. Anyone got 2 clones and some space/time to mess around?

I used GH Floralicious a few grows and it did seem to help, but the shelf life was suspect so I stopped. I began to use Terpinator instead, after reading so many positive results and find it's pretty good at weaker than suggested doses.

That flavored FloraNectar I mentioned did spark curiosity in me, so I am certainly grateful for that ;-)

fettled6 likes this.
  5. Simplicio

Simplicio Qualified Live Stoner

Don't forget that all this terpene hype is not backed up with scientific evidence.
    People BELIEVE that terpenes differentiate among strains, but there is no proof.
    Different strains do have different terpene profiles, but correlation is not causation.

I've added a few Grand Daddy Purple terpenes from True Terpenes to a few strains, and so far haven't noticed any different effects.

6. VitaMan

Currently Smoking:
    Personally I think a strain's terpines are part of the entourage.

At the very least, smell and taste are a part of the vaping experience. So in that regard, enhancing a plant's ability to generate more of it's terpines is an increase in quality.

But I am not a commercial producer. So in the example above of Blue Cheese, if I like cheese taste but I like blueberry better, it would be nice if I can help her lean a bit more berry than cheese, I will.