• Do you LOVE AFN?? bighug We do too!! But we need your help to keep the servers running!

If you feel like AFN has been useful in your journey and would like to help us pay some of the bills, we have a gofundme page setup for donations.
    Any amount that you can spare will be gratefully received

Click [HERE] to donate to AFN
  • G'Day folks! It's voting time for the 2021 Outdoor Auto-Photo Comp', so please swing by to oggle them womens and pick your favorites!.... *Located at the Live Vendor G&S section*

Food Grade Aloe Vera Gel ... can this be used on plants

BladeCutter

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Double Grape
I've seen products like this on local shelves. I don't really want to maintain an Aloe Vera plant. Anything specifically for the cannabis plant is very expensive. This seems like a pretty good option. 32 ounces for under $5 at Walmart is a good deal. Any reason I can't use this? There are only two non-Aloe ingredients Citric Acid, and Sodium Benzoate.

Any thoughts or opinions? Has anyone tried this before?

1637847937303.png

AJrexxx

Smoke Cannabis Live with Friends on AFN
Staff member
AFN Global Moderator
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Durban Poison, Green Crack, Vintage Blueberry
What are your plans for it? What medium do you grow in?

I buy dehydrated aloe vera from Build a soil and you add a 1/4 teaspoon for a gallon of water. So an ounce lasts me forever. I only really use it to clone.

BladeCutter

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Double Grape
What are your plans for it? What medium do you grow in?

I buy dehydrated aloe vera from Build A Soil and you add a 1/4 teaspoon for a gallon of water. So an ounce lasts me forever. I only really use it to clone.
I am growing in an Build A Soil organic medium EarthBox. I've used their dehydrated Aloe since early 2020. But, while you don't need much, the cost is high. I still have some of my first ounce left, but it has passed its shelf life. I thought at that $5 this "jug of aloe" might be a kind option to have around and I might use more of it.

My Build A Soil Black Friday order arrives tomorrow. I love their products. I am about to start my first all BAS run. But I would love to find a less expensive Aloe option.

-BC

Jburner8011

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
I just ordered some craft blend going to try my hand at mixing my own soil next time . I usually use an already made living soil in a bag like a stonington blend or sohum. But it’s getting expensive .

BladeCutter

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Double Grape
I just ordered some craft blend going to try my hand at mixing my own soil next time . I usually use an already made living soil in a bag like a stonington blend or sohum. But it’s getting expensive .
Craft Blend is a great top dressing for any "living soil." The expense is spread over a number of reuses. I am about to start my fourth crop in an EarthBox that has only been amended with Build A Soil amendments.

I would need to know more to provide really useful advice, but since you have Craft Blend on the way, I suggest you top-dress with that and some earthworm castings and reuse your soil.

What is your environment?

AJrexxx

Staff member
AFN Global Moderator
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
The only thing in that aloe is the salt that would concern me.

I have been using the nutrient blend for almost two years now. It is the best I have ran across especially with how long the 44lb bag lasts.

Not sure I would worry about the expiration date. Its kind of like a best used by date in my opinion(i have the same bag for a long time and it still clones). I used to run test plants in two gallon pots for experiments to figure these things out. Again I only use it for cloning so I do not do much with aloe. If you try it out let me know would like to know how it works out.

Jburner8011

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
I grow inside in a tent. Keep the environment pretty much on point most of the time. Like high 70s and 40-50% humidity. Last couple times I did like lasagna layers. Put a straight sohum soil in the bottom third of the pot , and a light mix on top so the seedlings (hopefully!)don’t burn. In the middle a mix of both. Seeds have been going straight into the pots they’re going to be grown in. Used to mess with the peat pucks but lost a lot of babies to too much moisture. And I don’t feed much nutrients at all. I Had bad luck with over feeding with bottles , knocking the PH all out of wack when I started so now I just top dress some dry nutrients when they flower and just feed them water if I can get away with it.I want to start reusing my soil. Usually it goes out into the flower bed or vegetable garden after but I want to reuse it if I can . I’ve burned a few autos in my short career so im a little paranoid about making it too hot I also want to start making my own soil instead of buying the bags . Seems like I could save some dough there if I can make my own base soil out of peat moss and compost and then add in some other goodies

Jburner8011

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
I do see some deficiencies so I could be doing better but I’m usually pretty happy with what we end up with

AJrexxx

Staff member
AFN Global Moderator
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
I grow inside in a tent. Keep the environment pretty much on point most of the time. Like high 70s and 40-50% humidity. Last couple times I did like lasagna layers. Put a straight sohum soil in the bottom third of the pot , and a light mix on top so the seedlings (hopefully!)don’t burn. In the middle a mix of both. Seeds have been going straight into the pots they’re going to be grown in. Used to mess with the peat pucks but lost a lot of babies to too much moisture. And I don’t feed much nutrients at all. I Had bad luck with over feeding with bottles , knocking the PH all out of wack when I started so now I just top dress some dry nutrients when they flower and just feed them water if I can get away with it.I want to start reusing my soil. Usually it goes out into the flower bed or vegetable garden after but I want to reuse it if I can . I’ve burned a few autos in my short career so im a little paranoid about making it too hot I also want to start making my own soil instead of buying the bags . Seems like I could save some dough there if I can make my own base soil out of peat moss and compost and then add in some other goodies
I use a build a soil recipe its on there blog somewhere. 1/3 Peat 1/3 compost (local) 1/3 Rice hulls and 4 cups of nutrient blend (i do not use all the individual items because nutrient blend has them all). That's it. I will use LAB and Recharge occasionally and if they show deficiency in flower i use buildabloom. Pretty simple set up but it works.

Thats in ten gallon grow bags.

BladeCutter

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Double Grape
Do you follow Build A Soil on YouTube? It is probably the best source of information on growing on YouTube. I've found that finding someone who has a grow style that I like and following them is best. For me that's Jeremy and Build A Soil.

I really like the EarthBox because once you are up and running you don't have to be worried about over or under-watering. My last run produced over a half-pound from two plants under 130W. My personal best. I've just moved to a tent and hope to at least duplicate those results.