• Do you LOVE AFN?? bighug We do too!! But we need your help to keep the servers running!

If you feel like AFN has been useful in your journey and would like to help us pay some of the bills, we have a gofundme page setup for donations.
    Any amount that you can spare will be gratefully received

Click [HERE] to donate to AFN
  • Hey everyone, HLG is generously offering 3 pairs of Method Seven glasses (amazing eye protection for your grow) in a holiday giveaway!

Click Here to Enter and Play!
  • G'Day folks! It's voting time for the 2021 Outdoor Auto-Photo Comp', so please swing by to oggle them womens and pick your favorites!.... *Located at the Live Vendor G&S section*

Food Grade Aloe Vera Gel ... can this be used on plants

BladeCutter

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Double Grape
I grow inside in a tent. Keep the environment pretty much on point most of the time. Like high 70s and 40-50% humidity. Last couple times I did like lasagna layers. Put a straight sohum soil in the bottom third of the pot , and a light mix on top so the seedlings (hopefully!)don’t burn. In the middle a mix of both. Seeds have been going straight into the pots they’re going to be grown in. Used to mess with the peat pucks but lost a lot of babies to too much moisture. And I don’t feed much nutrients at all. I Had bad luck with over feeding with bottles , knocking the PH all out of wack when I started so now I just top dress some dry nutrients when they flower and just feed them water if I can get away with it.I want to start reusing my soil. Usually it goes out into the flower bed or vegetable garden after but I want to reuse it if I can . I’ve burned a few autos in my short career so im a little paranoid about making it too hot I also want to start making my own soil instead of buying the bags . Seems like I could save some dough there if I can make my own base soil out of peat moss and compost and then add in some other goodies
Mixing your own soil makes sense. For example, I made the 2.0 Soil Mix using Spaughmum Peat Moss and Bu's Blend Compost that I purchased locally. Since I am a small grower, I suspect that I have a lifetime supply of the nutrient mix. AJrexxx mentioned Craft Blend and Build A Bloom. Build A Bloom is a water-soluble nutrient for flowering. They also have a top dressing called Build A Flower. THis is great for top dressing at any time. Highly recommended.

Olderfart

The more I learn, the less I know. :)
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Vaping: Mephisto 24 Carat, Mephisto Cosmic Queen, and Seedman Strawberry Cheesecake and others.
Mixing your own soil makes sense. For example, I made the 2.0 Soil Mix using Spaughmum Peat Moss and Bu's Blend Compost that I purchased locally. Since I am a small grower, I suspect that I have a lifetime supply of the nutrient mix. AJrexxx mentioned Craft Blend and Build A Bloom. Build A Bloom is a water-soluble nutrient for flowering. They also have a top dressing called Build A Flower. THis is great for top dressing at any time. Highly recommended.
My current soil mix (thanks to @pop22 for inspiration and guidance), and the results so far:
2021 soil.jpg

SSSC Auto Ellephant at about D33 as I recall:
IMG_0841.JPG

That is a 30 liter pot, she is a big happy girl, really starting to put on the stretch since this pic was taken a couple days ago. :biggrin: The soil was cooked for weeks after mixing.

A proprietary soil mix was not necessary so far...:biggrin: