• Do you LOVE AFN?? bighug We do too!! But we need your help to keep the servers running!

If you feel like AFN has been useful in your journey and would like to help us pay some of the bills, we have a gofundme page setup for donations.
    Any amount that you can spare will be gratefully received

Click [HERE] to donate to AFN
  • G'Day folks! It's voting time for the 2021 Outdoor Auto-Photo Comp', so please swing by to oggle them womens and pick your favorites!.... *Located at the Live Vendor G&S section*

Going forward...

Jerseyphresh1

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
So I'm wrapping up my 3rd run with the autopot megacrop v3 combo and honestly nothing has gone very well. I'm fine calling the current grow screwed due to pH pen failure and me not recognizing it sooner. But all 3 of these runs have been worse then any run I've really ever had before so I'm getting a little concerned that I'm totally trending in the wrong direction. I don't have enough megacrop for another run start to finish so purchases are gonna have to be made regardless. Basically every dtw plant I've ever grown had been better, but I don't have time for watering and mixing every day so I do love the autopot idea. I'm currently doing the MOG recipe of 3.5 megacrop, epsom, calmag, humic, kelp and B1. So my question is should I stick with the megacrop 1 part, switch to 2 part, change to different brand nutes, or mix some soil and just water in the rez? I leaning towards mixing soil or switching brands... I've always been Coco so I have no experience with soil but I'd assume base it on the night owl recipe... Appreciate any input

DCLXVI

Non smoker
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Old Man Kostas. Meraki!
That's a frustating situation. Were you using coco in the autopots? I thought that was supposed to work quite well. I've been thinking about trying them myself but have been unsure how to keep the reservoir ph'd properly. I've just cracked into coco so I'm far from knowledgeable but! It behaves like hydro so it's quite sensitive to things being off and can change quick. Were all 3 runs in coco with a bad pH pen? Probably silly questions but just trying to think out loud with you.

What pH were you running? You could always try the canna coco or the Advanced Nutrients pH perfect coco line. I did find the AN Sensi line wasn't "ph perfect" until you were using near full doses or R/O distilled water. What was your base water? Tap?

Jerseyphresh1

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Everything in Coco/perlite. Keep, or at least try to keep pH at 5.8--6.0. Could all be pH related really but would seem odd that the pen went dead at the same time I switched to mega/autopots. I usually just recalibrate at the beginning of each run. MOG gave me a recipe to switch to halfway through this run and I recalibrated for that and the plants got much better. Then they got worse, so that's when I figured out the pen was trashed, but I don't truly know when it broke

DCLXVI

Non smoker
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Old Man Kostas. Meraki!
It sounds like maybe get a new pen and give it one more try? But if you didn't like the MegaCrop there are tons of coco specific lines that might be easier. I did find that the AN line held pH very very well. I didn't like it in soil so I tried to use it up with coco outdoors for melons.Yes, I ran their soil line in coco. And I still had more melons than I knew what to do with. I had a bucket reservoir with a pump/timer and just loaded water and nutes. It might be worth looking into for reservoir stability. Just an idea.

If the pen broke at some point it could have been giving terrible readings for a while before it was evident to you. Especially trying to stay in as tight a range as you were.

Jerseyphresh1

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Got a new pen Friday. Mine was still under warranty and they actually sent me a new one. Only got the new fancy pen and did away with the $10 one maybe a couple weeks into switching nutes/system like a year ago. But the pen was expensive and new so I just calibrated it when I got it and then again at the start of each grow. So it could be pH all the way, but I'm out of headstash and this run won't last me very long either, so I kind need better numbers to sustain myself then I've got over the past year