Great Debate - Flush or not Flush before harvest?

Discussion in 'Harvest and Curing' started by Stone420, Sep 11, 2019 at 11:32 AM.

1. Stone420

Stone420 Welcome to the CannaZone

Currently Smoking:
    White Widow, Mazar, Northern Lights, Blue Dream
    Once my container grown plants in soil get big enough to handle full watering's, I typically do 20% runoff which is doing some mini-flushes along the way. I'll add that I use Advanced Nutrients pH Perfect nutes that are chelated to help balance the pH and nutrients preventing lockout. I have flushed before during the grow, but this is to flush a salt buildup to prevent toxicity in the soil.

Some folks always flush before a harvest - but I cant seem to figure out why? Are minerals and nutrients that are inside the tissues of the plant likely to be pulled out of the plant by a flush? And why would we want to rob the plant of its nutrients immediately before harvest when adding bud weight is most critical. Seems the plant needs nutes the most at this point.

I have done with great success: Water the plant AND feed, close up tent and do a total lights off for 36-48 hours, then take plant out of tent and harvest. I have done this method for some time now, and when cured carefully, I get the best, smoothest smoke with no harshness as supposedly is the reason to flush at harvest to begin with.

BUT, I am not a know-it-all and very open to suggestions. If I'm missing something, please fill me in. I really want to learn if there is something I need to change for the better.

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 11:54 AM
    Tags:
    HashMaster likes this.
  2. AutoWonders

AutoWonders CBD ROCKS

I am from the camp of no flush & no dark period. I found no discernible difference in flush/dark and thus am not compelled to do so again.

Stone420, Animatey and HashMaster like this.
  3. LazyNhazy

LazyNhazy Welcome to the CannaZone

The only thing I have noticed is when feeding MC right before chop its a bit harsh. Not bad but a lot better with a few RO waterings.

Stone420 and HashMaster like this.
  4. HashMaster

HashMaster In Dog Beers I've Only Had One

Some people can taste the difference, some people can't.

It's a neverending debate that boils down to personal preference.

I dont know if it still holds true but as of 2 years ago (the last time I was foolish enough to post in a flush or no flush thread) no unflushed plant had ever won a cup competition.

I can taste the difference, so I flush, even when growing organic.

And the old dark period trick is for Indica... not just weed in general... it kicks in couchlock on indica strains.

:hookah:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 2:56 PM
    Stone420 and LazyNhazy like this.
  5. Stone420

Stone420 Welcome to the CannaZone

Currently Smoking:
    White Widow, Mazar, Northern Lights, Blue Dream
    Glad you mentioned the effects of a dark period. I have noted the dark period accelerates ripening and ambering of the trichs which in essence may potentially be the basis of the couchlock effect. Very good point and very helpful indeed. Thank you!

HashMaster likes this.