• Come join us as we welcome Horticulture Lighting Group to the Autoflower Network!

We have an official representative from HLG that will be active on the forum to answer your questions, several units that are coming for our official product testing (grow and show's,) and we'll be working together to provide better information on lighting in general!

Come say hello!
  • Do you LOVE AFN?? bighug We do too!! But we need your help to keep the servers running!

If you feel like AFN has been useful in your journey and would like to help us pay some of the bills, we have a gofundme page setup for donations.
    Any amount that you can spare will be gratefully received

Click [HERE] to donate to AFN

Harvesting, Drying and Curing: A Guide to Finishing Quality Bud

MedCzech

Tinkering in the ManCave!
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Orange Biscuit, Purple Nuggets, Sour Livers, Gorilla Glue, Chem Stomper and so much more!
Another NEW way to enhance flavor during the grow.

If you want to try this experiment at home with a flowering plant, simply cut a side branch with a bud and a few leaves on it that’s ready for harvest, and put it in a dilute solution of vanilla extract in purified water. Even if the stem is cut, the process of transpiration still occurs. Water evaporates off the surface and underbelly of the leaves, which creates a back pressure, pulling xylem through the veins of the branch, then the stem, then the branch, and eventually pulls up your vanilla solution.

After about a week, the entire cutting should be saturated with this solution, so take it out and cure as you would a normal bud. Keep track of it among the rest of the buds, and smoke a bowl to see if you notice a difference.:smokeit:

MedCzech

Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Orange Biscuit, Purple Nuggets, Sour Livers, Gorilla Glue, Chem Stomper and so much more!
Last one I tried for flavor enhancing is also during the grow.

The day of harvest let your plant dry out and don't feed it, then give it a solution of your ph'd water and any flavor extract lime vanilla, orange, cherry, or whatever you like like two hours before you chop her. Do your cure as normal. You will notice a small change in the flavors for sure. I used to do this with outdoor plants when the strains weren't as good. It doesn't change the flavor of the weed , but it does enhance it.

Ok, that's all the info I gave acquired in my experience and have actually used it with success. It's nice to add variety to your med cabinet, that is why I do it. Plus, it's fun too!

MedCzech

Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Not sure if this has been posted here...a great website for terpenes specially designed for cannabis enhancing. If your into tinctures, oils, or even flavoring shatter and rosin!

https://www.true-blue.co/

Take a look!

BII

Reaction score
I and presumably others have no interest in adding flavor/scent-enhancing substances to our cannabis. To me, this is adulteration. This includes adding more toxic by-products for those who smoke vs. vaporize or ingest. But I realize that some are interested in what they find attractive tastes/smells vs. keeping it more in its natural state.

A question for those with any experience with the terpene mixture flavoring products: Do these make cannabis products smell like pot or are they usually just adding the fruity, fuel or other type of fragrance associated with that strain? If the smells actually match weed, do the odor profiles match that of combusted or weed at room temperature, say in a bag, or vaporized?

MedCzech

Reaction score
Currently Smoking
I and presumably others have no interest in adding flavor/scent-enhancing substances to our cannabis. To me, this is adulteration. This includes adding more toxic by-products for those who smoke vs. vaporize or ingest. But I realize that some are interested in what they find attractive tastes/smells vs. keeping it more in its natural state.

A question for those with any experience with the terpene mixture flavoring products: Do these make cannabis products smell like pot or are they usually just adding the fruity, fuel or other type of fragrance associated with that strain? If the smells actually match weed, do the odor profiles match that of combusted or weed at room temperature, say in a bag, or vaporized?
For sure it is adulteration man. Horrible thing to do right? Calm down man. These are just ideas and little experiments for those interested, no one was cramming anything down anyone's throats here.

All in fun and just for laughs. :crying::thanks:

G.Leave

Auto Warrior
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
I feel this way...i will try the freeze cure, but generally i will not add artificial flavour to bud. It is what it is...fortunately most of the varieties i choose have plenty of charter in regards to smell and taste!

MedCzech

Reaction score
Currently Smoking
I feel this way...i will try the freeze cure, but generally i will not add artificial flavour to bud. It is what it is...fortunately most of the varieties i choose have plenty of charter in regards to smell and taste!
I don't really do this crap either anymore. This was years back when I was experimenting, also before the great strains of today were here.
Today you don't need to do this. Just letting people know how to do it that might be interested. Although a couple buds and some lemon peels are actually a nice enhancement and it actually enhances the effects of the buzz as well. That's science! Check it out. Yep, terpene manipulation can actually add to the effects the bud has on you.
Just dropping knowledge in this forum. Don't hate the messenger:bighug:

Thegermling509

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Blue dream'atic
Again, freezing and related water removal/dehydration is NOT CURING. Freezing is good for preservation, stopping or slowing biological and chemical degradation, with this resulting in freezing effectively halting curing.
Ok so I read the rest of the Freezer cure over at IC and I learned that the "freezer cure" is another way of burping jars but what you said is correct about the cure us growers usually do. The idea came from a book by Ed Rosenthal (forgot which book). The idea is when you feel your buds are crispy (during the drying) on the outside but the stem does not snap but bends somewhat. Instead of throwing them in the jars to evenly distribute the moisture you throw them in the frostless freezer for around 2-3 weeks. Then you remove them and proceed to part two of the cure which is the cure youre speaking of. Yes, it does take EXTRA time but it is a better cure process according to many on there who have done it. The thread is over at IC if youre interested.

BII

Reaction score
Ok so I read the rest of the Freezer cure over at IC and I learned that the "freezer cure" is another way of burping jars but what you said is correct about the cure us growers usually do.........Yes, it does take EXTRA time but it is a better cure process according to many on there who have done it. The thread is over at IC if youre interested.
It may be a better drying regimen (from being slower). But again, this drying method is NOT A CURE in any way.. Curing involves chemical, enzymatic and biological breakdown, with freezing effectively halting/slowing all this.