1. The 2019 Biggest Grow Battle in the World is currently under way! Round one has started, don't miss the fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Another round is coming. I am happy to announce I will be releasing more through OES! Stay tuned for availability.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey everyone, we'd like to welcome the UK-based vendor Invisible Sun LED to the Autoflower Network!

Invisible Sun offers efficient lighting solutions to growers and we'll be doing a fully documented grow-and-show with some of their kit with a grower from our test team! Let's give them a big AFN hello and check them out here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hey guys just wanted to let you know that we have another USA based seed bank listed in the commercial section. Stop in and say hello!!
    Dismiss Notice

Help identifying reason for slow seedlings

Discussion in 'Autoflower Infirmary for Sick Plants' started by 4d-Rock, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Waira

Waira Growing strange,... Staff Member Global Moderator (SA)

Currently Smoking:
    Bum Wine, FugeueState, SexBud, C+2.0
    soil.jpg pH in peat based soilless should be low 6's so you're good there :thumbsup:.... true soils a bit higher in general,... It's always good to pH adjust your inputs (add Ca-Mg first if you are, BTW) to optimal range, it takes some of the buffering load off the medium....
    ...yeah, with weak nute levels, the plant will slow it's pace and size down, often not showing any defc.'s, but runts out!

huh, that's damn weird, no way that small amount should be raising ppm's 300+? That's needs looking into,... your TDS meter might be off calibration too possibly, though they typically hold well over time- :shrug:.... I don't have CaliMg. around or I'd test it myself! ... what's your water source, and if tap, pH and ppm's?
    The supp's I mentioned are all water-in- :thumbsup:

archie gemmill, 4d-Rock and RivetGrrl like this.
  2. 4d-Rock

4d-Rock Geo-grower

Currently Smoking:
    Red Poison (Sweet Seeds)
    Thanks @STILLSMOKIN It’s so tempting to water and feel like you are doin something to help it along. I’ve been working on more patience for this and as I have the plants have improved. Still need a bit of work though

@Waira I usually add CaliMagic, Big bloom, Grow Big and/or Tiger Bloom, then adjust pH.

I am using some cheap Amazon meters. But every so often I’ll double check with pH drops to confirm that I’m in the right range and that it’s not totally off. The ppm meter seems pretty consistent but I might run a few tests with different additives. Maybe even email General Hydroponics to see if they have an approximating of what CaliMagic should be adding, maybe I got a strong batch.

archie gemmill and Waira like this.
  3. rick-j

rick-j Bearclaw

Currently Smoking:
    -forest pine, GSC, caterack kush
    Doe's your light look kinda like this? If so, did you use those hieghts on your grows? 100_1212.JPG

4. 4d-Rock

4d-Rock Geo-grower

Currently Smoking:
    Red Poison (Sweet Seeds)
    @rick-j it is similar but only has two cob lights, not four. It’s advertised as 400W but pulls 200W actual.

[​IMG]

I have been trying to keep it at 18” from seedling to veg, then keep around 12-14” during flowering.

archie gemmill, Waira and rick-j like this.
  5. rick-j

rick-j Bearclaw

Currently Smoking:
    -forest pine, GSC, caterack kush
    Wow, that's close, I got these about 4 years ago, the directions say 0.5m- 1.5m--according to different growing stages. I think that is 19.6" to 4'10.5"? I've got them at about 28" now, mabey i'll try lowering a bit, Thanks for answering

archie gemmill, Waira and 4d-Rock like this.
  6. 4d-Rock

4d-Rock Geo-grower

Currently Smoking:
    Red Poison (Sweet Seeds)
    Ahh cool. Well here is the image from the amazon listing which shows it’s recommendations.

[​IMG]

I had talked with someone on the forums which recommended the 18” veg/12” flower for shorter grow areas. So there is probably an argument to raise and go higher as this graphic suggests. But I do have limited vertical space as my tent is only 4 1/2 foot tall.

7. Waira

Waira Growing strange,... Staff Member Global Moderator (SA)

Currently Smoking:
    Bum Wine, FugeueState, SexBud, C+2.0
    ... what's the ppm's of your adjusted feeds going in? I asked around about the CaliMagic,.... "maybe" is the best I got- :doh:...I'll go to a friends horti-store and test this if I can,...

archie gemmill and 4d-Rock like this.
  8. 4d-Rock

4d-Rock Geo-grower

Currently Smoking:
    Red Poison (Sweet Seeds)
    No worries @Waira

I live on a lake which my house uses for it’s water. It comes in through a charcoal filter and a UV filter before getting to the taps.
    Then out of tap, it measures at ~60ppm and 6.9pH. This can fluctuate a bit due to seasonal changes within the lake.

I’m also going to run a few tests with how each additive affects the measurements when I have some extra time. Planning to mix up 1mL/L for each and see how those levels change.

For another example, I just recently mixed up 2L with 1mL CaliMagic, 5mL Big Bloom, 2mL Grow Big which measured at 625ppm.

9. Garage_Grower

Garage_Grower Baked.

@Waira CaliMagic mixed with RO water at a strength of 0.5ml/L is 150ppm. I use the damned stuff every day. Also @4d-Rock, I’m running LEDs and Coco, and have yet to need to go over 1ml/L, plants are finishing up now with no sign of cal/mg defs whatsoever.

Easy smoking!

10. Garage_Grower

Garage_Grower Baked.

So yes @4d-Rock CaliMagic at a strength of 1ml/L is approx. 300ppm.

Easy smoking!

archie gemmill, Waira and 4d-Rock like this.