Help me choose a light??

CdnSeedsGuy

Auto Warrior
Jul 26, 2019
I'm new to growing indoors. I just set up my 4x2 tent with a carbon filter. I just need a light. Problem is I can't stop researching. There is so much info out there and I'm sure I only understand half of it. WTF is a PAR and PPFD anyways?? Don't really care.
Basically, I've narrowed it down to 3 lights. I like each of them.
1. Timber Grow Lights - Model 3VL = This thing is gorgeous!!! But it's $450US, so that's not happening.
2. HLG Canada - 135W QB - $230-260 - Everyone seems to like this company. But it doesn't cover enough of the tent, only 2x2 in flower. Next model up is twice the price. No.
3. Optic LED Grow Lights - Gen 3 COB LED 205W - On sale for $325. Recommended cover is 2x3 but I only plan on growing 3 plants at a time. I really like this light.
4. Mars Hydro - SP250 or TSL2000 - $360 - I keep coming back to these two. Both are 40" long and have hundreds of LED's so covering the 4x2 shouldn't be an issue. Either seem great for my setup but Mars Hydro seems cheap.

Anyone out there familiar with these lights or have a better suggestion??

Thanks

AutoWonders

Growing With A Smile
Jul 14, 2014
Between Two Bodies of Water
I'm new to growing indoors. I just set up my 4x2 tent with a carbon filter. I just need a light. Problem is I can't stop researching. There is so much info out there and I'm sure I only understand half of it. WTF is a PAR and PPFD anyways?? Don't really care.
1. Timber Grow Lights - Model 3VL = This thing is gorgeous!!! But it's $450US, so that's not happening.
2. HLG Canada - 135W QB - $230-260 - Everyone seems to like this company. But it doesn't cover enough of the tent, only 2x2 in flower. Next model up is twice the price. No.
3. Optic LED Grow Lights - Gen 3 COB LED 205W - On sale for $325. Recommended cover is 2x3 but I only plan on growing 3 plants at a time. I really like this light.
4. Mars Hydro - SP250 or TSL2000 - $360 - I keep coming back to these two. Both are 40" long and have hundreds of LED's so covering the 4x2 shouldn't be an issue. Either seem great for my setup but Mars Hydro seems cheap.

Thanks
You might also take a look at the Autocob which is built by a user in here. www.cobshop.net. They are a popular light. I have 6. Recently I bought two Spider Farms SF 1000 quantum boards. Yeah, I'm a light whore.

CdnSeedsGuy

Auto Warrior
Jul 26, 2019
Good to know as it is $100 cheaper than the other lights I'm looking at.
Wonder what the diff is between the SP250 and the TSL2000.

What's the blue LED light for? I should get one too?

CdnSeedsGuy

Auto Warrior
Jul 26, 2019
You might also take a look at the Autocob which is built by a user in here. www.cobshop.net. They are a popular light. I have 6. Recently I bought two Spider Farms SF 1000 quantum boards. Yeah, I'm a light whore.
I looked at the autocobs but it would be $100 more. Not a lot, but still.
Leaning towards a QB.
The SF 1000 looks good.

hairyman

in the wonderland zoo
Gladiators
Jan 25, 2015
The blue light is a 365nm cfl, it allegedly increases trichome I just use it on plants finishing off
I checked out the spider farms, looks good

Reactions: CdnSeedsGuy

Acoustic57

Auto Warrior
Jun 8, 2019

Thanks

MesaBoogie

We live to survive our paradoxes
Gladiators
May 25, 2018
Canada
Check out the MIGROW channel on youtube. He has tested all the lights you listed and ranks them. He performs the exact same testing procedure on all of them so their is no bias.

Reactions: BCBudlady