• Come join us as we welcome Horticulture Lighting Group to the Autoflower Network!

We have an official representative from HLG that will be active on the forum to answer your questions, several units that are coming for our official product testing (grow and show's,) and we'll be working together to provide better information on lighting in general!

Come say hello!
  • Do you LOVE AFN?? bighug We do too!! But we need your help to keep the servers running!

If you feel like AFN has been useful in your journey and would like to help us pay some of the bills, we have a gofundme page setup for donations.
    Any amount that you can spare will be gratefully received

Click [HERE] to donate to AFN

Help Me With Seed Production

MesaBoogie

We live to survive our paradoxes
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
I've seen very little variance in my S1's.

Bill.de.Cat

Auto Warrior
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
So, I'm planning on starting to do some seed running. Small space to utilize so will also be using outdoors for reversing and pollen collection. Want to run 2 separate lines, 2 plants of each line. Top n clone each for reversing outside. Desired outcome of indoor plants is selfing, crossing with same line, crossing with both of other line on separate branches. Will be doing the pollen painting in separate location. Bagging the branches to keep em all separate. I want to know how long it takes the pollen to set on the pistils to produce a seed . Will be spritzing like crazy to deactivate the "extra " pollen to try to prevent unwanted pollenation of other branches and returning to tent.. might work or be a total cocktail up.

Olderfart

The more I learn, the less I know. :)
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Vaping: Mephisto 24 Carat, Mephisto Cosmic Queen, and Seedman Strawberry Cheesecake and others.
So, I'm planning on starting to do some seed running. Small space to utilize so will also be using outdoors for reversing and pollen collection. Want to run 2 separate lines, 2 plants of each line. Top n clone each for reversing outside. Desired outcome of indoor plants is selfing, crossing with same line, crossing with both of other line on separate branches. Will be doing the pollen painting in separate location. Bagging the branches to keep em all separate. I want to know how long it takes the pollen to set on the pistils to produce a seed . Will be spritzing like crazy to deactivate the "extra " pollen to try to prevent unwanted pollenation of other branches and returning to tent.. might work or be a total cocktail up.
I have only done seed production once, so take my comments accordingly.

The relevant part of my experience is that I pollenated only two branches on my seed plant, the remainder of the plant was left to produce bud. I got lots of seeds on the pollenated branches, and not one anywhere else on the plant. So, it can be done without pollenating anything other than the target branches. I didn't bag the branches, I just applied the pollen with a Qtip (not a brush - brush bristles could throw pollen around more than the Qtip does). I did the pollen application indoors well away from my grow tent, and made sure that air movement in the room was as close to zero as possible (forced air vents being one potential source of mischief, breathing, coughing, sneezing etc being others). I also sprayed the pollen application location, especially the table surface beneath the plant and pot sides and surface of the soil immediately after applying pollen - the idea being to kill off the pollen that inevitably dropped below the target branches. Unfortunately, I can't recall exactly how long I left the pollenated plant before spraying with water prior to moving back to the main tent - I suspect that I left it overnight , likely for at least 24 hours. It had a separate grow light in the pollenation room. The pollen plant was grown in the same spot earlier. I am reasonably sure that the pollen will do its job in a matter of a few hours but I can't guarantee that.

One potential difference to what you have in mind is that I only applied one strain of pollen to the seed plant - applying two and avoiding the wrong pollen on a branch might be a bit trickier. I suspect though that as long as you do the application carefully in a room with zero air movement and spray down the pollen application area with water immediately after application, you should be ok.

If you pollenate outdoors, I think you will need to apply pollen in isolation bags enclosing the target branch and inject the pollen into the bag rather than apply with a brush or Qtip. I considered doing this in my project, but decided to try the simpler approach given the ease of controlling the indoor environment. Whatever you do, I would not move pollenated plants back to the grow room before spraying the entire plant down with water.

Good luck with it, and if you get contrary advice from more experienced seed makers, you should probably take it. :biggrin:

Bill.de.Cat

Auto Warrior
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
I have only done seed production once, so take my comments accordingly.

The relevant part of my experience is that I pollenated only two branches on my seed plant, the remainder of the plant was left to produce bud. I got lots of seeds on the pollenated branches, and not one anywhere else on the plant. So, it can be done without pollenating anything other than the target branches. I didn't bag the branches, I just applied the pollen with a Qtip (not a brush - brush bristles could throw pollen around more than the Qtip does). I did the pollen application indoors well away from my grow tent, and made sure that air movement in the room was as close to zero as possible (forced air vents being one potential source of mischief, breathing, coughing, sneezing etc being others). I also sprayed the pollen application location, especially the table surface beneath the plant and pot sides and surface of the soil immediately after applying pollen - the idea being to kill off the pollen that inevitably dropped below the target branches. Unfortunately, I can't recall exactly how long I left the pollenated plant before spraying with water prior to moving back to the main tent - I suspect that I left it overnight , likely for at least 24 hours. It had a separate grow light in the pollenation room. The pollen plant was grown in the same spot earlier. I am reasonably sure that the pollen will do its job in a matter of a few hours but I can't guarantee that.

One potential difference to what you have in mind is that I only applied one strain of pollen to the seed plant - applying two and avoiding the wrong pollen on a branch might be a bit trickier. I suspect though that as long as you do the application carefully in a room with zero air movement and spray down the pollen application area with water immediately after application, you should be ok.

If you pollenate outdoors, I think you will need to apply pollen in isolation bags enclosing the target branch and inject the pollen into the bag rather than apply with a brush or Qtip. I considered doing this in my project, but decided to try the simpler approach given the ease of controlling the indoor environment. Whatever you do, I would not move pollenated plants back to the grow room before spraying the entire plant down with water.

Good luck with it, and if you get contrary advice from more experienced seed makers, you should probably take it. :biggrin:
The bag injection sounds like a great idea and as I planned on tagging each pollenated branch I should be able to keep track. Read that water spritzing/spraying would deactivate the pollen, did you use anything different. Figured it might be best to let sit out on front porch (where the chucking will occur) bagged for 24 hrs then spraying like crazy as I remove the bags before putting back in tent.

Olderfart

Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Vaping: Mephisto 24 Carat, Mephisto Cosmic Queen, and Seedman Strawberry Cheesecake and others.
The bag injection sounds like a great idea and as I planned on tagging each pollenated branch I should be able to keep track. Read that water spritzing/spraying would deactivate the pollen, did you use anything different. Figured it might be best to let sit out on front porch (where the chucking will occur) bagged for 24 hrs then spraying like crazy as I remove the bags before putting back in tent.
Sounds like a good plan to me mate. When I was thinking about the bag technique, I figured that I would put dry pollen into a 20 cc syringe with the coarsest hypodermic needle that I could get, give it a good shake by hammering it on something while rotating it to get the pollen off the sides and into the air in there, then quickly injecting the entire thing into the bag before taping the injection hole. If your pollen is mixed with rice or flour, just put the combination into the syringe. Rice in there might also help get the pollen airborne when you shake the syringe. I would repeatedly refill the syringe without pulling it out of the injection hole and discharge it vigorously to extract the most pollen you can as well as stirring the air in the bag with the syringe output. you will have to be careful that you don't rip your bag open while operating the syringe. Arranging support to rigidly support the syringe while pumping it might be a good idea. Should work a treat I suspect, but I haven't tried it, and haven't come across documented records of other efforts to do it.

One final note is that it seems to me that syringes may be pre-lubricated with some kind of oil to make the plunger easier to move. If lube is present, it might cause pollen to stick to the syringe. It might make sense to disassemble and clean the syringe with alcohol before using it for pollen application, but I am just guessing - I do not know what the lube is, or if there is any there at all.

Good luck with it, if you try bag injection, documenting the project might be helpful for others here. :pighug:

Last edited:

BassAce5000

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
I always spray down the branches I don’t want pollinated with some water before and after I dust the branches I want pollinated. And when I take the bag off I also spray down beforehand in case there is any active pollen in the bag.
Also, I spray the end of the bag after I’ve placed it on the branch,

Olderfart

Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Oops, I forgot to answer re. spraying. It is my understanding that ordinary water is death to pollen, and that is all I used to kill any stray stuff. I would not use anything else. The risk is airborne pollen getting where you don't want it. One part of the bag process that might be a challenge is getting the bag off without causing any pollen on leaves in there getting airborne as a result. I would deal with this by spraying the rest of the plant down before removing bags, and then spraying down each pollenated branch as each bag is removed.

Olderfart

Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
I always spray down the branches I don’t want pollinated with some water before and after I dust the branches I want pollinated. And when I take the bag off I also spray down beforehand in case there is any active pollen in the bag.
Also, I spray the end of the bag after I’ve placed it on the branch,
Oops, added my latest post before seeing this. You and I are on the exact same page! It sounds as though you have it sorted. I look forward to see how your project goes. Please tag me if you do a journal or thread. :pighug:

BassAce5000

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Oops, added my latest post before seeing this. You and I are on the exact same page! It sounds as though you have it sorted. I look forward to see how your project goes. Please tag me if you do a journal or thread. :pighug:
I have a hard time cutting down a good male, especially if I’ve stress tested it. I have vials stored all at the bottom of my fridge just waiting to be chucked :coco::joy: :crying:

And Same here! Keep me posted @Bill.de.Cat