• Do you LOVE AFN?? bighug We do too!! But we need your help to keep the servers running!

If you feel like AFN has been useful in your journey and would like to help us pay some of the bills, we have a gofundme page setup for donations.
    Any amount that you can spare will be gratefully received

Click [HERE] to donate to AFN
  • G'Day folks! It's voting time for the 2021 Outdoor Auto-Photo Comp', so please swing by to oggle them womens and pick your favorites!.... *Located at the Live Vendor G&S section*

Instatransplant Cups & Pots pictorial and Root Restriction Stunting

G.Leave

Auto Warrior
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
What about using 1L airpots and putting them directly out to soil?
Will roots come out of air holes and the bottom? Or would it be better to remove the plastic when transplanting?
Yes they will work...though there could certainly be some root constriction depending on the diameter of the roots. The problem is the closer to the main stalk you are, the thicker the roots get, and the holes on airpots are only so big.

Dinafem Auto white widow
IMG_5682.JPG

G.Leave

Auto Warrior
Cultivators Club
Reaction score

Natsu

Dragon Slayer
Reaction score
Great tutorial and really sweet looking plants man. I'm on my first grow, but that's definitely something I would check out in the future. How does root restriction compare to giving flowering nutes early as a method to keep the plant small in size?

Exotic Flower

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Just came back to re-read this tutorial on the insta-transplant pots.
Will be trying for my first time very soon.
Though, I think I got 32 oz = 1 L pots, not the 16 oz "Solo" cups.
Went for colored, rather than clear, as want to avoid light exposure on roots and possible algae.
Still, thinking about it, the ideal may be --
-- clear for the inside pot, so easier to check root development.
-- colored / opaque for the outside pot, to prevent light on the roots.
Now, just need to get some actual soil for when they outgrow the little peat starters.
Have a few days only, I guess...

G.Leave

Auto Warrior
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Great tutorial and really sweet looking plants man. I'm on my first grow, but that's definitely something I would check out in the future. How does root restriction compare to giving flowering nutes early as a method to keep the plant small in size?
from my experience, the difference is huge!! Root restriction certainly has a large impact on plant frame size for sure!!

MrStoker

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
New to the forum. Just planted two sprouts into 32oz yogurt containers setup using this insta-transplant method. Believe it's a fantastic idea. Wasn't happy with the seedling bags I'd purchased and was trying to figure out a way to help the roots escape the bag. That's when stumbled onto this thread. Thanks for the idea and will keep you posted on how they do. BTW...this is my first ever grow so, any fails this grow probably won't be the transplant method.

G.Leave

Auto Warrior
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
New to the forum. Just planted two sprouts into 32oz yogurt containers setup using this insta-transplant method. Believe it's a fantastic idea. Wasn't happy with the seedling bags I'd purchased and was trying to figure out a way to help the roots escape the bag. That's when stumbled onto this thread. Thanks for the idea and will keep you posted on how they do. BTW...this is my first ever grow so, any fails this grow probably won't be the transplant method.
Hey good luck on your first grow!! Feel free to tag in any staff if you need any assistance! (@912GreenSkell)

Slydawg

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
I'm going to give this a go with my regular auto seeds. My goal would be to grow the plants in the instatransplant pots until they show sex with no stunting. I have some square 2 quart pots. Eight fit in a nursery flat so really space efficient however im unsure if they'd be big enough.

MrStoker

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
@G.Leave Wanted to give you a quick update. This being my first time around, had some difficulty in my process. After reading this thread again, not sure where the idea came from but was convinced the bottom of the inner container had to be removed. The first transplant went OK and managed to get her into a new home without too much trouble. The second though was a different story. After cutting the bottom free, went to pick the pot up and didn't have the loose bottom completely supported. Because of the weight of my freshly watered coco mix, the loose bottom folded open and everything slipped right out the bottom of the pot. Instead of trying to slide her back into the pot, she was quickly positioned over the hole in her new pot and planted directly into the coco.

So far no problem with either plant. No droop or color changes. Think next time the inner pot will simply have a fully perforated bottom and I'll not try cutting it away. Hopefully the roots will grow through the perforations.

Attachments

milkmann

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
This is a great idea, so just to clarify, when you see the roots through the windows etc and it looks like it's time to transplant, you just make a hole in the soil in the new pot and drop the solo cup in?