Is a 2.2 gal autopot too much for a 2x2x4 tent? (and other Qs)

• Well, we're still working on things and I imagine we'll see some bugs, some breaking, and things that need to get fixed. We'll start on the most critical things first and work our way down. We're still installing add-on's and squaring away some licensing stuff, but feel free to browse the board and we'll update everyone on when things are added, restored, or otherwise changed.
Cannabis Seeds

elcoloan

Auto Warrior
Nov 1, 2018
Hello friends!

I recently started a new job that takes up most of my time and requires a lot of traveling, so I need a self watering system. I'm completely sold on autopots, so I have a couple of questions.

I had been trying to decide whether to buy the easy2go kit and DIY everything else to keep using my 1.5 gal hempy buckets, or just buy a 1Pot system.
I think I'm set on the 1Pot system. But the 1Pot system comes with a 3.9 gal pot, which I have to assume is way too much for my space, correct? I use cococoir for substrate and greenleaf nutes, and have been mostly growing photos but plan to switch to auto strains a soon as I get some good auto genetics.

Speaking with an Autopot representative, I was informed I could purchase the 1Pot system and he could help me get the pot changed into a 2.2 gal and even refund the difference which is just like 2 bucks. I'm wondering if the 2.2 gal pot is still too much for my growing specs, any thoughts? Could I just fill the 2.2 pot up to 1.5 gal and still have the system work well?

Also, since I'd be using Mega Crop (v1 initially, then v2), I wanted to ask if it's really necessary to have an air pump in the reservoir as I'm seeing many growers do. If I didn't put one in there, how often would I have to change the reservoir to avoid issues?

Any input is appreciated!

Chronic_ passion

Auto Warrior
Oct 17, 2018
Personally I'd go with the 1 pot system, you don't need to fill it with substrate. You can always cut it down too or swap out for the 2.2 like you said.
When I ran nutes I started with an air stone in the res and it threw the pH out all over the place. I'd go for a water pump to circulate rather than bubble.
Just fill a couple buckets and leave to stand for 24hrs before typing up the res. You'll be all set then.
You need to top feed until the leaves are near the edge of the pot before you turn the res on. I found water day 0 then day 10 then turn res on around day 14. If she's not quite big enough by then, test the soil moisture and water if required then turn res on when she's at the pot edge. Depending on how thirsty she is you'll probably start filling 10-20ltrs a week to about week 5, then 20+ thereafter.

If you wanted to go fully automated use BioTabs and fit an inlet valve to your mains water. I'm nearing completion on my first grow like this and the tent's been opened 4 times since they sprouted.
20190829_202805.jpg

This is day 56 in a 4x4 tent using one 15ltr pot so if you half filled/went with 2.2g you should be just about right
Groom 2_09_10_2019 9_45_48am.jpg

There's loads of advice on here, just dig a bit and you'll see how others use them. I just modified them to suit my needs.
:pighug:

elcoloan

Auto Warrior
Nov 1, 2018
Personally I'd go with the 1 pot system, you don't need to fill it with substrate. You can always cut it down too or swap out for the 2.2 like you said.
When I ran nutes I started with an air stone in the res and it threw the pH out all over the place. I'd go for a water pump to circulate rather than bubble.
Just fill a couple buckets and leave to stand for 24hrs before typing up the res. You'll be all set then.
You need to top feed until the leaves are near the edge of the pot before you turn the res on. I found water day 0 then day 10 then turn res on around day 14. If she's not quite big enough by then, test the soil moisture and water if required then turn res on when she's at the pot edge. Depending on how thirsty she is you'll probably start filling 10-20ltrs a week to about week 5, then 20+ thereafter.

If you wanted to go fully automated use BioTabs and fit an inlet valve to your mains water. I'm nearing completion on my first grow like this and the tent's been opened 4 times since they sprouted.
View attachment 1101801

This is day 56 in a 4x4 tent using one 15ltr pot so if you half filled/went with 2.2g you should be just about right
View attachment 1101802
There's loads of advice on here, just dig a bit and you'll see how others use them. I just modified them to suit my needs.
:pighug:
Excellent! Thanks!

Reactions: Chronic_ passion

TreyDogg

Auto Warrior
Aug 23, 2016
I've used the dual pot autopots in a 2x2x4 gets pretty full but I pulled it off got more then 4 zones. You need fans blowing from top to bottom as no real air movement. It can be done but is it the way I'd advise one to grow all the time no. Get a 2*4 if you can.

Reactions: elcoloan