KIS SOIL MIX

• Is sex pre-determined in regular (non-feminized) cannabis seeds? Give us your opinions and thoughts on the subject!

Click Here for the Thread!
  • Win Bruce Banner

jackMgood

Auto Warrior
Apr 17, 2016
Currently Smoking
Cookies Kush
I mixed my kis soil 2 weeks ago today. I put a whole nutrient pack with 20 gallons peat moss, 13 gallons of perlite, 7 gallons earth worm castings. In 14 days of turning and watering soil every other day my soil ph reads 7.5 when I put my meter in the soil. Should I read the runoff as well or instead? @KIS @hecno This is also my first Kis grow.

Reactions: MrOldBoy and Jraven

KIS

Auto Warrior
May 1, 2017
pH sounds a little high, that might be due to your compost/worm castings source being a bit more alkaline than what we use. You'll be fine, but I'd just monitor it. Keep in mind the rhizosphere will buffer pH a bit to help out. I would make sure my water is acidic though, you can use something like citric acid to lower the pH if you're not using a reservoir (it doesn't buffer for very long).

Also, you could just add another 5 gallons of peat moss (and probably 1-2 more gal of perlite) in and that should help in lower pH too since peat moss is highly acidic. You have plenty of nutrients in there even if you add another 5-7 gallons of peat/perlite.

jackMgood

Auto Warrior
Apr 17, 2016
Currently Smoking
Cookies Kush
pH sounds a little high, that might be due to your compost/worm castings source being a bit more alkaline than what we use. You'll be fine, but I'd just monitor it. Keep in mind the rhizosphere will buffer pH a bit to help out. I would make sure my water is acidic though, you can use something like citric acid to lower the pH if you're not using a reservoir (it doesn't buffer for very long).

Also, you could just add another 5 gallons of peat moss (and probably 1-2 more gal of perlite) in and that should help in lower pH too since peat moss is highly acidic. You have plenty of nutrients in there even if you add another 5-7 gallons of peat/perlite.
Thank you!