• Come join us as we welcome Horticulture Lighting Group to the Autoflower Network!

We have an official representative from HLG that will be active on the forum to answer your questions, several units that are coming for our official product testing (grow and show's,) and we'll be working together to provide better information on lighting in general!

Come say hello!
  • Do you LOVE AFN?? bighug We do too!! But we need your help to keep the servers running!

If you feel like AFN has been useful in your journey and would like to help us pay some of the bills, we have a gofundme page setup for donations.
    Any amount that you can spare will be gratefully received

Click [HERE] to donate to AFN

LST later in a grow?

BigD1128

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
I was wondering if there is a down side to opening up a canopy 7 weeks into a grow? Other than brittle branches is there any negative effect on the flower sites?

Mañ'O'Green

Kia ora. Retired to watch the grass grow.
Staff member
AFN Global Moderator
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Dabs of Rosin.
The determining factor here is the quality and strength of your lights. I do not defoliate, train or open the canopy. I only defoliate low for air movement. I also own some of the best grow lights available on the market today.

If you have lessor lights you may gain a little by opening the canopy some but in reality you will generally only get (X) g/watt based on the light type and spectrum regardless to training type.

:goodluck:

GinFizzLuv

Auto Warrior
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
The determining factor here is the quality and strength of your lights. I do not defoliate, train or open the canopy. I only defoliate low for air movement. I also own some of the best grow lights available on the market today.

If you have lessor lights you may gain a little by opening the canopy some but in reality you will generally only get (X) g/watt based on the light type and spectrum regardless to training type.

:goodluck:
What lights are you running @Mañ'O'Green ?

bf80255

Head Breeder Humunya Seeds (Hoo-moo-nyah)
Reaction score
I was wondering if there is a down side to opening up a canopy 7 weeks into a grow? Other than brittle branches is there any negative effect on the flower sites?
if your just spreading the Budd sites and foliage to allow for better light spread and airflow then absolutely not, no downside! yea the stems will be more brittle and set but if you take your time and just bend a bit at a time you'll be fine. lots of benefits... almost no downside ...unless u mess up lol

Mañ'O'Green

Kia ora. Retired to watch the grass grow.
Staff member
AFN Global Moderator
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Dabs of Rosin.
What lights are you running @Mañ'O'Green ?
My main lights are 2 - 500w Chilled Growcraft LEDs

But I also run in every grow:

2 Far Red Pucks
2 Royal Blue Pucks
2 50w LED w/blue
2 - 48" t5 Agromax UVA Plus 10,000K florescent lamps
1- 48" t5 Agromax Pure UV 75% UVB 25% UVA florescent lamps

I have a 24 sq ft space :cools:.

Wian

Auto Warrior
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Mephisto Genetics Forgotten Cookies
My main lights are 2 - 500w Chilled Growcraft LEDs

But I also run in every grow:

2 Far Red Pucks
2 Royal Blue Pucks
2 50w LED w/blue
2 - 48" t5 Agromax UVA Plus 10,000K florescent lamps
1- 48" t5 Agromax Pure UV 75% UVB 25% UVA florescent lamps

I have a 24 sq ft space :cools:.
That is quite the setup!
Those lights probably penetrates quite well!

JSH1973

Auto Warrior
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
You can just super crop instead of lst if the stems are not flexible enough

North Forge

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Is this with an Autoflower? If so I would imagine you are well Into flower. I certainly wouldn't do any supercropping at that stage.

If you are spreading out your main stems for light penetration and airflow, there certainly won't be any harm in it. Although in the future it would be better to train them apart earlier.

While you're at it you might want to also support the branches if you are anticipating heavy yields