• Do you LOVE AFN?? bighug We do too!! But we need your help to keep the servers running!

If you feel like AFN has been useful in your journey and would like to help us pay some of the bills, we have a gofundme page setup for donations.
    Any amount that you can spare will be gratefully received

Click [HERE] to donate to AFN
  • G'Day folks! It's voting time for the 2021 Outdoor Auto-Photo Comp', so please swing by to oggle them womens and pick your favorites!.... *Located at the Live Vendor G&S section*

New Grower Ppm run off

The mechanic

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
My seedling is 9 days old I use happy frog soil . My ppm tested after mixing newts was 439. Ph at 5.9. Never added any newts before. So I watered and had some run off and tested it. It was in the 3000s ppm.
Brand new soil . I dont understand how it was so high. Can anyone help me with this question?

Mañ'O'Green

Kia ora. Retired to watch the grass grow.
Staff member
AFN Global Moderator
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Dabs of Rosin.
@The mechanic :welcome:Welcome to AFN:welcome:Fox Farm Happy Frog is pre-ammended with Fertilizer and Dolomite lime and other stuff. You do not need to fertilize at all for 3 or 4 weeks. You should not be watering to run-off in soil. The bottom of the pot can get very "salty" in soil. Salty means rich in nutrients. What EC scale are you using? PH going in for FFHF is 6.4 so you are fertigating at too low a PH. Measuring run-off is a poor measure of anything because you have no idea of the composition of the solution. It can be used to determine trends in the pot but it takes years of experience to make decisions based on that information. What is the source and starting PPM of your water?

What brand and schedule of nutrients are you using?

AutoBobje

Auto Warrior
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Found a baggy of OG Kush CBD from 2020, Oh man....
My seedling is 9 days old I use happy frog soil . My ppm tested after mixing newts was 439. Ph at 5.9. Never added any newts before. So I watered and had some run off and tested it. It was in the 3000s ppm.
Brand new soil . I dont understand how it was so high. Can anyone help me with this question?
:welcome:to AFN buddy :toke:

The mechanic

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
@The mechanic :welcome:Welcome to AFN:welcome:Fox Farm Happy Frog is pre-ammended with Fertilizer and Dolomite lime and other stuff. You do not need to fertilize at all for 3 or 4 weeks. You should not be watering to run-off in soil. The bottom of the pot can get very "salty" in soil. Salty means rich in nutrients. What EC scale are you using? PH going in for FFHF is 6.4 so you are fertigating at too low a PH. Measuring run-off is a poor measure of anything because you have no idea of the composition of the solution. It can be used to determine trends in the pot but it takes years of experience to make decisions based on that information. What is the source and starting PPM of your water?

What brand and schedule of nutrients are you using?

General hydroponics is the newts im using and the ppm in my mix before watering was around 439 ish

The mechanic

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Using distilled water in jugs until I can get the ro system

Mañ'O'Green

Kia ora. Retired to watch the grass grow.
Staff member
AFN Global Moderator
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Dabs of Rosin.
Using distilled water in jugs until I can get the ro system
What you are telling me does not add up unless that is a really bad batch of soil. Or you added much more fertilizer than you think!