• Come join us as we welcome Horticulture Lighting Group to the Autoflower Network!

We have an official representative from HLG that will be active on the forum to answer your questions, several units that are coming for our official product testing (grow and show's,) and we'll be working together to provide better information on lighting in general!

Come say hello!
  • Do you LOVE AFN?? bighug We do too!! But we need your help to keep the servers running!

If you feel like AFN has been useful in your journey and would like to help us pay some of the bills, we have a gofundme page setup for donations.
    Any amount that you can spare will be gratefully received

Click [HERE] to donate to AFN

Re-buffering unused coco after it dries out?

tronN00dles

Auto Warrior
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Forgive my ignorance. I've never grown in coco before but my next one will be.

I have a brick of coco I'm going to buffer with cal-mag. Do I have to do this right before I plant my seed? Or can I buffer my medium now and say, get back to it in a week's time? I'll rehydrate my medium and ensure a proper ppm/pH before planting, but do I need to re-buffer my medium after it dries out? Again, no plant in it in this scenario, just a pot of buffered and dried-out coco sitting in my garage, waiting to be used.

Put differently, will the calcium remain in those cation exchange sites if the medium is left to dry out with no plant in it?

Last edited:

Mañ'O'Green

Kia ora. Retired to watch the grass grow.
Staff member
AFN Global Moderator
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Dabs of Rosin.
Hey folks,

Forgive my ignorance. I've never grown in coco before but my next one will be.

I have a brick of coco I'm going to buffer with cal-mag. Do I have to do this right before I plant my seed? Or can I buffer my medium now and say, get back to it in a week's time? I'll rehydrate my medium and ensure a proper ppm/pH before planting, but do I need to re-buffer my medium after it dries out? Again, no plant in it in this scenario, just a pot of buffered and dried-out coco sitting in my garage, waiting to be used.

Put differently, will the calcium remain in those cation exchange sites if the medium is left to dry out with no plant in it?
Did you wash the salt out first? Use a surfactant to help wet it thoroughly then buffer it. Keep moist from then on.

tronN00dles

Auto Warrior
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Did you wash the salt out first? Use a surfactant to help wet it thoroughly then buffer it. Keep moist from then on.
The coco is still sealed in it's original packaging. I'll hold off on prepping it closer to when I need it. I'm just impatient :crying:

My plan is to wash, strain, buffer, then prep with my initial nute solution until my run-off ppm is in check. I was planning on treating with yucca powder as well, but you say I should do this before I buffer? Noted! I hadn't thought of doing this pre-buffer.

Thanks!