Soils for Autoflowering Seeds

• Is sex pre-determined in regular (non-feminized) cannabis seeds? Give us your opinions and thoughts on the subject!

Click Here for the Thread!
  • Win Bruce Banner

nicholasbx

Auto Warrior
Dec 7, 2019
Hey guys,

New here and thanks for having me! I'm a beginner at this stuff so please bare with me.

I tried growing 2 autoflowers and a feminized 1 and failed all 3 times unfortunately.

For my first 2 autoflowering grows, I used:
  • 3 parts peat moss
  • 3 parts compost
  • 2 parts perlite, pre-wet
  • 1 part vermiculite, pre-wet

The first plant drooped and died unfortunately. Second plant I used the same mix, but it didn't grow and upon digging for it, I saw that it grew under the soil a bit but never emerged from it unfortunately.

For the feminized seed, I added worm casting but it never grew.

My question is, should I try the same mix or should I just buy this soil?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

PS. I will try to grow an autoflower again.

Proph

Regenerative Organic Grower
Staff member
AFN Global Moderator
AFN Gladiator
Nov 30, 2016
Hello and welcome. What you've made there is a basic "base" soil... but you forgot to add the nutrients. Meals, gypsum, ect. That soil in the link didn't list it's ingredients and has no reviews so I have no idea if it's good, bad or decent. If you plan to make your own soil you should Google "living soil recipe" and get the full list of ingredients that you'll need/want to add, and at what ratios.

Reactions: BakEQ and Jraven

MrToad

Auto Warrior
Oct 31, 2019
Currently Smoking
Tangiematic
If you're having troubles with soil..Just use a general soil for potted plants which should be balanced for pH and nutrients...keep in mind once these nutrients begin to deplete closer towards flowering you will have to provide additional appropriate fertilizer in your watering regime depending on the size of the pots you use...Due to the fast growing cycle and genetics of autos, you will likely require slightly less fertilizer.

For beginners, stick to the KISS principle until you are more familiar with what you are dealing with...

cheers

MrToad

Reactions: Jraven

nicholasbx

Auto Warrior
Dec 7, 2019
Hello and welcome. What you've made there is a basic "base" soil... but you forgot to add the nutrients. Meals, gypsum, ect. That soil in the link didn't list it's ingredients and has no reviews so I have no idea if it's good, bad or decent. If you plan to make your own soil you should Google "living soil recipe" and get the full list of ingredients that you'll need/want to add, and at what ratios.
Thanks for the reply Prophetiko, in the description for that product it says this:

Cellmax Universal Soilmix has an optimum composition of selected high-grade peat types, complemented with blood meal, bone meal, perlite, worm fertiliser, fungal strains and bacteria.

I live in Malta and the ingredients I will need will be hard and expensive to come by I think. I'm looking for soil that has everything I need but that is the only site I found that potentially ships to Malta :/ If you know of any other site that can ship to countries in the EU and they have good soil please let me know!

Reactions: Jraven

nicholasbx

Auto Warrior
Dec 7, 2019
If you're having troubles with soil..Just use a general soil for potted plants which should be balanced for pH and nutrients...keep in mind once these nutrients begin to deplete closer towards flowering you will have to provide additional appropriate fertilizer in your watering regime depending on the size of the pots you use...Due to the fast growing cycle and genetics of autos, you will likely require slightly less fertilizer.

For beginners, stick to the KISS principle until you are more familiar with what you are dealing with...

cheers

MrToad
MrToad, thanks for the comment :) General potted soil? I would like to just order a pre made mixed soil which would make my life much easier, if you've got any suggestions or websites in mind that ship to the EU please let me know, thanks again dude :)

MrToad

Auto Warrior
Oct 31, 2019
Currently Smoking
Tangiematic
If you go down to any garden centre, they should have a decent standard blend of soil containing peat and perlite as well as some basic nutrients..
Keep your first grows simple and learn to respond to the needs of the plants.
Learn the basics of Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium, Magnesium, and Calcium..as well as the other micro nutrients...and timing as to which are important in the different stages of growth..learn to identify deficiencies as well as excess.
A basic soil will give you a starting point, and some flexibility as you are not going to have to learn the finer points of fertilizing right away..as with coco...
pH your water to around 6.2-6.5...before watering or adding a fertilzer solution.
Have fun..its about learning..start with the basics, decent genetics, adequate equipment...and have fun!

Toad