Standard LED bulbs with cap removed actually works?

karlkutta

Auto Warrior
Dec 18, 2018
Hello all! In my newly discovered passion for indoor growing I heard and read that is possible to take an ordinary LED with somewhat higher wattage and use it to assist my grow.

Well, I have a bunch of 100w equivalent, actually drawing 15w and 19w, that I would love to use. These are 2700k rated.

I can get my hands on a ton of these for about $1 a piece, hence I am wondering if they are viable to be used in my setup and if I should get more more.

What are the thoughts on this?
Thanks

Karl

Austin Wall

Auto Warrior
Jan 26, 2019
I just built this after reading several forums online. I even measured a few bulbs with, and without lens covers using a lux meter at a distance of 12". What I found was that the lux almost doubled with the lens off. I paid $1.35 a bulb and used 6 of the $10 1 to 7 bulb adapters on amazon(pic only shows 5, not finished). The rest of the materials I had laying around. Total investment was about 3 hours of my time and $120. Currently i have in there 6 10w 2700k and 36 10w 5000k. To flower I will need to buy 30 more 2700k,
so I will have to add another $40 to the cost.

Calculated total led watts of this fixture is 420w. Lol how convenient.

Each bulb states 760 lumens. Correct me if I'm wrong but if the lux(lumen per square meter) doubled, so should the lumen rating??in theory this should give me a total lumen output of 63,840 at 152 lumens per watt. 1000w hps run at 130 lumen per watt!

Not sure at what height to run this light and of its actual coverage ..... Some experimenting to come. Any recommendation on height above canopy?? Was thinking 36" is probably where i should start. I think I need to get my lux meter back from a friend and take some measurments.

Thanks for reading.
I am just as new to all this as you Karl. I am big diy guy though

0126191823.jpg
0124192026b.jpg

karlkutta

Auto Warrior
Dec 18, 2018
I just built this after reading several forums online. I even measured a few bulbs with, and without lens covers using a lux meter at a distance of 12". What I found was that the lux almost doubled with the lens off. I paid $1.35 a bulb and used 6 of the $10 1 to 7 bulb adapters on amazon(pic only shows 5, not finished). The rest of the materials I had laying around. Total investment was about 3 hours of my time and $120. Currently i have in there 6 10w 2700k and 36 10w 5000k. To flower I will need to buy 30 more 2700k,
so I will have to add another $40 to the cost.

Calculated total led watts of this fixture is 420w. Lol how convenient.

Each bulb states 760 lumens. Correct me if I'm wrong but if the lux(lumen per square meter) doubled, so should the lumen rating??in theory this should give me a total lumen output of 63,840 at 152 lumens per watt. 1000w hps run at 130 lumen per watt!

Not sure at what height to run this light and of its actual coverage ..... Some experimenting to come. Any recommendation on height above canopy?? Was thinking 36" is probably where i should start. I think I need to get my lux meter back from a friend and take some measurments.

Thanks for reading.
I am just as new to all this as you Karl. I am big diy guy though

View attachment 1006552 View attachment 1006553
That's great. I didn't know about the 7 bulb adapter but will be getting to try. I'm not sure about mounting it on wood, seems like it would be tough to please in the tent. The diy aspect of all of this is alot of fun.

With 7bulvs drawing 17watts (that's what my 100w equivalent bulbs draw) I'm using as much power as my primary cheapo burbple like that's 600w equivalent :) lol. Anyways it's a great way to add extra light and keep it on a budget

Thanks

Austin Wall

Auto Warrior
Jan 26, 2019
That's great. I didn't know about the 7 bulb adapter but will be getting to try. I'm not sure about mounting it on wood, seems like it would be tough to please in the tent. The diy aspect of all of this is alot of fun.

With 7bulvs drawing 17watts (that's what my 100w equivalent bulbs draw) I'm using as much power as my primary cheapo burbple like that's 600w equivalent :) lol. Anyways it's a great way to add extra light and keep it on a budget

Thanks
Definetly try them. I will link the ones i used and have had good luck with. I tore them apart and inspected every single socket as well as the wiring.

As for the wood. It is not osb as it appears. It is l.p. smart side siding that is water proof and will not absorb moisture... Should be fine in the grow room/shed?? Guess we will find out lol.

I currently am growing small under a mars hydro led light (96w actual) so figured id go big for the diy. Even if it doesnt work I have fun with it.

Eventually I will move everything to an 8x12 flower/verge room and test out the new diy light. For now the previous owner of this house already had a nice little grow spot set up that i am utilizing.
15486355884091036115754.jpg
15486356369961986820883.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06ZZ6RY4H/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: BISCUITS and Tony21

Fitzy

Auto Warrior
May 28, 2017
Currently Smoking
Blue toof, auto kush, pineapple express x silverback crack, and royal gorilla x blue toof
Definetly try them. I will link the ones i used and have had good luck with. I tore them apart and inspected every single socket as well as the wiring.

As for the wood. It is not osb as it appears. It is l.p. smart side siding that is water proof and will not absorb moisture... Should be fine in the grow room/shed?? Guess we will find out lol.

I currently am growing small under a mars hydro led light (96w actual) so figured id go big for the diy. Even if it doesnt work I have fun with it.

Eventually I will move everything to an 8x12 flower/verge room and test out the new diy light. For now the previous owner of this house already had a nice little grow spot set up that i am utilizing. View attachment 1006871 View attachment 1006872

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06ZZ6RY4H/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I would like to see aswell

Reactions: Mizzo81

BISCUITS

Auto Warrior
Apr 4, 2015
mid-illinois
I did the same exact thing with the same splitters from Amazon and similar leds and they work very well and kick out about 140-150 lumens per watt which is pretty good. Quantum Boards run 160-180. You can find boxes of these bulbs at Home Depot, Lowe’s or Menards on sale for $7 for 10 bulbs.