The Basics ( very basic ) of organic growing for begginers

• Good morning everyone! So I spent the day installing and upgrading a new add-on for AFN that effects our vendor and breeder forums. It's the same setup that we are using on High of the Tiger, but we didn't realize it would effect members a bit differently here on how it's been received.

The major benefit of the add-on is that it allows breeders/vendors a global calendar (that they add their own events to,) a group media gallery, group discussion area, an information/about tab, and a few other goodies that should make the experience overall a better one.

One major caveat to point out, the new groups (where you see the overlay) unfortuantely *REQUIRE* you to join them in order to post in them. This is done by design of the software (and I understand why,) however it's been requested to see if we can circumvent this somehow. I will inquire to the developer to see if it's an option available or one that can be added to future versions. So to be clear, you MUST JOIN the group to be able to post and reply, even if your existing threads were there before. We apologize for this minor inconvenience but it's a one-time deal and then it's back to business :-)
  • Hey we're testing out our new Raffle/Giveaway software and wanted to invite you all to try it out with us for a chance to win a Smokin' Screws pipe screen!

This will be for USA-based growers only (to start,) and the only requirements are 25 minimum post count to put in an entry (which you can do once per hour!)

Click Here to Enter!
Cannabis Seeds

Dudeski

Auto Warrior
Staff member
Global Moderator (SA)
Apr 2, 2016
Currently Smoking
Fairy Frost by Portal
Do you wash or do anything to the coco before mixing it in? I'm going to be getting a brick very soon.

Reactions: pop22

pop22

Frankensteins Lab Leader
Gladiator Level 2
Dec 15, 2013
I've never washed Botanicare coco. From reading their website, there is no need to. Also, most of the better brands ad buffers to the coco and you'll wash them out. I just drop mine in a 20 gallon tub and add 5 gallons of RO water with cal/mag. sometimes after it has abosobed the water, you may need to add a little more. Don't add too much water or then you have to darin it.
Do you wash or do anything to the coco before mixing it in? I'm going to be getting a brick very soon.

Dudeski

Auto Warrior
Staff member
Global Moderator (SA)
Apr 2, 2016
Currently Smoking
Fairy Frost by Portal
Thanks! Im grateful for the help, slowly trying to get a better environment for growing.

Reactions: Jraven

Chong's Cousin

Auto Warrior
Nov 7, 2017
Currently Smoking
Soon to be some Bloody Skunk Auto(SweetSeeds)
If your growing in organic soil, people don't use bloom nutes or any manufactured nutes, if you do, its NOT organic! The best source of micro nutrients for organic soil is Azomite and kelp or seaweed. However, if your plants are calcium toxic, adding micros won't fix anything. MAYBE flushing the soil with water might help, but....... put about a gallon of water through the pot the let it dry out, its all you can do now.

What you need to do is decide whether you want to grow organic, or with bottled nutrients, trying to do both won't turn out well. I suggest next grow you follow my soil recipe. Add nothing extra, just water and let them grow.
After you've had a successful grow or two, then, if you want to try growing another style, you'll have more confidence and knowledge.
I can find cow manure locally a few miles away at the dairy farms around but im not sure if its composted....Does it matter? What if i find fresh cow manure then how can i compost it?

Reactions: pop22

pop22

Frankensteins Lab Leader
Gladiator Level 2
Dec 15, 2013
I just buy it by the bag at any garden center, greenhouse, or even at hardware store. Dealing with fresh it just not worth it. its cheap

I can find cow manure locally a few miles away at the dairy farms around but im not sure if its composted....Does it matter? What if i find fresh cow manure then how can i compost it?

budman1

ol' man burning 1
Aug 5, 2018
great write up a little confusing,but if your confused that means your learning.I used organic 10-5-5 on my last and final out door grow this is what one of them look like northern lights,a friend brought me this wiltering plant and wanted me to fix,I ask what am I a friggen weed doctor
IMG_0011.JPG
:drool:

Clarky

Auto Warrior
Aug 9, 2018
Hey pop, sorry if this has been asked already but do you fill the entire pot with your final mix or just the bottom half and the top with potting mix. So much differing information around I am a bit confused. Is it possible to read too much?

Reactions: pop22 and Dudeski

Gregothegreat

Auto Warrior
Mar 30, 2017
Currently Smoking
Gg#4, Green Crack, Texada Timewarp, Blue cheese
I have been exploring Jadam a natural farming practice from Korea, this is peasent farming so it is based on inexpensive natural ingredients. One additive is Jadam soil drench. To make you take a 5 gal bucket, or a 20 gal garbage can, for 5 gal boil 2 large potato till mushy soft. Place in mesh bag and immerse in 5 gal h20, Mush the potato till a white clouds of starch floats out. Now grab another mesh bag and go to the forest and grab a big hand full of leaf mold, that's the soil on the forest floor made by decomposing leaves. You should now have 5 gal water with 2 mesh bags floating in it. Let the bucket sit in a warm place foe several days, no air pump needed. After 4- 5 days you see a ring of small bubbles this is caused from bacteria and fungi eating the starch and farting. When the bubble ring begins to colaps all there food is gone and the bacteria numbers will decline. It is time to use this, as a soil drench and folder spray mix 30 parts water to 1part jadam juice.
To make a simple fertiliser put about a gallon of jadam juice in a 5 gal bucket and add weeds and grass or even the fan leaves from ur plants, let brew for a week and again 30- 1.you can add more water and more weeds to keep ur brew going all summer. For minerals you can add sea salt or Himalaya salt. To feed my plants I added a week solution of 0-10-10 bloom nutes, kelp liquid,Epsom salts, can put a bit of molasses. This stuff tends to stink a lot.

pop22

Frankensteins Lab Leader
Gladiator Level 2
Dec 15, 2013
Interesting! Salt level is much lower though in Azomite. sodium chloride is not good for plants except in tiny amounts.

I have been exploring Jadam a natural farming practice from Korea, this is peasent farming so it is based on inexpensive natural ingredients. One additive is Jadam soil drench. To make you take a 5 gal bucket, or a 20 gal garbage can, for 5 gal boil 2 large potato till mushy soft. Place in mesh bag and immerse in 5 gal h20, Mush the potato till a white clouds of starch floats out. Now grab another mesh bag and go to the forest and grab a big hand full of leaf mold, that's the soil on the forest floor made by decomposing leaves. You should now have 5 gal water with 2 mesh bags floating in it. Let the bucket sit in a warm place foe several days, no air pump needed. After 4- 5 days you see a ring of small bubbles this is caused from bacteria and fungi eating the starch and farting. When the bubble ring begins to colaps all there food is gone and the bacteria numbers will decline. It is time to use this, as a soil drench and folder spray mix 30 parts water to 1part jadam juice.
To make a simple fertiliser put about a gallon of jadam juice in a 5 gal bucket and add weeds and grass or even the fan leaves from ur plants, let brew for a week and again 30- 1.you can add more water and more weeds to keep ur brew going all summer. For minerals you can add sea salt or Himalaya salt. To feed my plants I added a week solution of 0-10-10 bloom nutes, kelp liquid,Epsom salts, can put a bit of molasses. This stuff tends to stink a lot.