• Come join us as we welcome Horticulture Lighting Group to the Autoflower Network!

We have an official representative from HLG that will be active on the forum to answer your questions, several units that are coming for our official product testing (grow and show's,) and we'll be working together to provide better information on lighting in general!

Come say hello!
  • Do you LOVE AFN?? bighug We do too!! But we need your help to keep the servers running!

If you feel like AFN has been useful in your journey and would like to help us pay some of the bills, we have a gofundme page setup for donations.
    Any amount that you can spare will be gratefully received

Click [HERE] to donate to AFN

The Weak Link and the Art of Training Yourself to be a better grower

G.Leave

Auto Warrior
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
What's up @912GreenSkell? I just finished the "Weak Link" post, as I told you I would, and I have to say that it is a pretty great read brother! (but I'm a 912 fan already) I read the entire thing (the post, not the thread) and I would say that even for someone new to the grow arts, it's a very easy, straight forward read.
Hey thanks bud!! Appreciate the kind words! Yes this is exactly what i am trying to accomplish in the articles i am writing...make it easy to understand for anyone regardless of experience or skill level. I am a hands on kind of guy, and when something i am reading gets too scientific I kind of phase out. But hands on practical work I pick up really well, and thats the style of growing I want to teach. It doesn't have to be uber complicated at all.

I would add something to a point that you made, actually it will add to 2 of your points. You covered [HASHTAG]#7[/HASHTAG]:Excess Heat and [HASHTAG]#10[/HASHTAG]: High Humidity. This comment is basically for any new growers, but for anyone facing these specific issues. I've found that the strains that do work best in both these situations are pure sativas, or more sativa leaning hybrids. It makes sense, since they mostly originate in that exact environment. I hope I didn't overstep the boundaries brother, just thought that this info could be helpful. You and anyone else, feel free to do the same on any of my threads here. Again brother 912, I enjoyed the read. I also have to spread the rep, but I will definitely be back to rep this one. :peace:
Overstep boundaries? No way bud!! This is exactly why i was trying to get you to read the article!! I am not closed minded in any way, and i appreciate feedback and especially bouncing back and forth with other seasoned vets. That is a great point about sativas, and i will add it in. If you see anything else you think should be added, let me know!! I want this article to be perfect and complete. Edited in your suggestion below.

7 Excess Heat - If your climate is too hot, plants will often have elongated nodes and also heat induced hermaphrodites are a possibility. Buds in extreme heat often fail to produce very well and are often stretched, airy buds lacking in density. If you are rocking an indoor grow, and your temperature is 90F or higher, do what you can to lower it or buds might suffer. Some strains seem to do just fine in hot temps. As a general rule, pure Sativa's, and Sativa dominant plants handle excessive heat better than those of Indica's due to their often far south lineage and decades of naturally climatizing to heat.

10 High humidity - High humidity has a much greater impact than low humidity will cause. Plants in high humidity (60%+) will grow great, but the problem with a high humidity is potential mold. Indoors, it's often easy to work around due to Dehumidifiers. Outdoors, you are at the mercy of mother nature on this one. If you are in high humidity outdoors, I would suggest trying to find a location that is as windy as possible. Heavily increased circulation will lessen the impact of a high humidity. As a general rule, pure Sativa's, and Sativa dominant plants handle excessive high humidity better than those of Indica's due to their often far south lineage and decades of naturally climatizing to high humidity, as well as their more open structure and elongated nodes will will allow for more circulatory airflow.

NateNobody

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Critical+ 2.0, Bloody Skunk, 2Fast 2Vast
Hey thanks bud!! Appreciate the kind words! Yes this is exactly what i am trying to accomplish in the articles i am writing...make it easy to understand for anyone regardless of experience or skill level. I am a hands on kind of guy, and when something i am reading gets too scientific I kind of phase out. But hands on practical work I pick up really well, and thats the style of growing I want to teach. It doesn't have to be uber complicated at all.

Overstep boundaries? No way bud!! This is exactly why i was trying to get you to read the article!! I am not closed minded in any way, and i appreciate feedback and especially bouncing back and forth with other seasoned vets. That is a great point about sativas, and i will add it in. If you see anything else you think should be added, let me know!! I want this article to be perfect and complete. Edited in your suggestion below.

7 Excess Heat - If your climate is too hot, plants will often have elongated nodes and also heat induced hermaphrodites are a possibility. Buds in extreme heat often fail to produce very well and are often stretched, airy buds lacking in density. If you are rocking an indoor grow, and your temperature is 90F or higher, do what you can to lower it or buds might suffer. Some strains seem to do just fine in hot temps. As a general rule, pure Sativa's, and Sativa dominant plants handle excessive heat better than those of Indica's due to their often far south lineage and decades of naturally climatizing to heat.

10 High humidity - High humidity has a much greater impact than low humidity will cause. Plants in high humidity (60%+) will grow great, but the problem with a high humidity is potential mold. Indoors, it's often easy to work around due to Dehumidifiers. Outdoors, you are at the mercy of mother nature on this one. If you are in high humidity outdoors, I would suggest trying to find a location that is as windy as possible. Heavily increased circulation will lessen the impact of a high humidity. As a general rule, pure Sativa's, and Sativa dominant plants handle excessive high humidity better than those of Indica's due to their often far south lineage and decades of naturally climatizing to high humidity, as well as their more open structure and elongated nodes will will allow for more circulatory airflow.
OK brother, that is the vibe I get from you and everyone else here. I made the mistake of trying to insert a different perspective on another site quite a while ago.......you know what, I won't even finish that thought. It would be disrespectful to AFN. It would be like comparing your old hateful, shitty girlfriend/boyfriend, to your soulmate. I apologize AFN. :face: But seriously, the info in your post is very helpful. I had been trying to figure out what the what was going own with my little clone/seedling cabinet. That clone cabinet that I used in my new thread was put away for years. I got it out and put it up in a different part of the house, and some of my clones and seedlings died. That never really happens, outside of me not setting a reminder to mist new clones, or something like that. I am just so used to everything going right, that I let my guard down, and it cost me some plants; 4 out of 10 to be exact. If purchased from the breeders again, that would be a bit over $80 US. My problem was a simple one, just what I commented on before......heat and humidity! This time, the problem was just the opposite; not enough of either. That part of the house stays in the shade, and I've never used that room. I did not take those things into consideration. My hygrometer (an after thought by the way) showed at peak daytime heat it was 71, and the lowest recorded temp at night was 59, and the highest recorded humidity was 32%. I immediately added 2 more clip lights, 92w addition, and made sure the door to the cabinet was completely closed. (was keeping it cracked, thought it would be too hot). The temps went up to 88, and the rh maxed at 80%. The plants LOVED it! Sure, I lost a few plants, but I was in a position where that was not a big deal. It was nice to get that wake-up slap across the face, and have that "Oh, yeah, gotta get my head outta my a**" kind of moment. It keeps you sharp. Check in with you later brother. :peace:

Last edited:

NateNobody

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Critical+ 2.0, Bloody Skunk, 2Fast 2Vast
@912GreenSkell, couldn't edit last post, but meant to say that I finally spread enough rep around to rep your post. :nicethread:

G.Leave

Auto Warrior
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
OK brother, that is the vibe I get from you and everyone else here. I made the mistake of trying to insert a different perspective on another site quite a while ago.......you know what, I won't even finish that thought. It would be disrespectful to AFN. It would be like comparing your old hateful, shitty girlfriend/boyfriend, to your soulmate. I apologize AFN. :face:
Hahahahaha....hey man...I have been in that Exact same position before as well!! One thing about me.....no matter how much i think i know about growing, I will never close my mind to others opinions. You must have an open mind to further improve your skills.

But seriously, the info in your post is very helpful. I had been trying to figure out what the what was going own with my little clone/seedling cabinet. That clone cabinet that I used in my new thread was put away for years. I got it out and put it up in a different part of the house, and some of my clones and seedlings died. That never really happens, outside of me not setting a reminder to mist new clones, or something like that. I am just so used to everything going right, that I let my guard down, and it cost me some plants; 4 out of 10 to be exact. If purchased from the breeders again, that would be a bit over $80 US. My problem was a simple one, just what I commented on before......heat and humidity! This time, the problem was just the opposite; not enough of either. That part of the house stays in the shade, and I've never used that room. I did not take those things into consideration. My hygrometer (an after thought by the way) showed at peak daytime heat it was 71, and the lowest recorded temp at night was 59, and the highest recorded humidity was 32%. I immediately added 2 more clip lights, 92w addition, and made sure the door to the cabinet was completely closed. (was keeping it cracked, thought it would be too hot). The temps went up to 88, and the rh maxed at 80%. The plants LOVED it! Sure, I lost a few plants, but I was in a position where that was not a big deal. It was nice to get that wake-up slap across the face, and have that "Oh, yeah, gotta get my head outta my a**" kind of moment. It keeps you sharp. Check in with you later brother. :peace:
Yeah thats it exactly!! Even the most experienced make errors from time to time. Despite the fact that I wrote this article for mostly beginners and intermediate growers, I also find this article useful when i make an error or see issues in the plants. One variable at a time we can go down the list and eliminate weak link factors and deduce where the problem lies.

G.Leave

Auto Warrior
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
@Ripper - hey fella.....would you mind copy pasting these two paragraphs and replace the corresponding paragraphs in the article on page 1 post one for me bud?

7 Excess Heat -
If your climate is too hot, plants will often have elongated nodes and also heat induced hermaphrodites are a possibility. Buds in extreme heat often fail to produce very well and are often stretched, airy buds lacking in density. If you are rocking an indoor grow, and your temperature is 90F or higher, do what you can to lower it or buds might suffer. Some strains seem to do just fine in hot temps. As a general rule, pure Sativa's, and Sativa dominant plants handle excessive heat better than those of Indica's due to their often far south lineage and decades of naturally climatizing to heat.

Ripper

Garage Farmer
Super Gladiator
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
@Ripper - hey fella.....would you mind copy pasting these two paragraphs and replace the corresponding paragraphs in the article on page 1 post one for me bud?

7 Excess Heat -
If your climate is too hot, plants will often have elongated nodes and also heat induced hermaphrodites are a possibility. Buds in extreme heat often fail to produce very well and are often stretched, airy buds lacking in density. If you are rocking an indoor grow, and your temperature is 90F or higher, do what you can to lower it or buds might suffer. Some strains seem to do just fine in hot temps. As a general rule, pure Sativa's, and Sativa dominant plants handle excessive heat better than those of Indica's due to their often far south lineage and decades of naturally climatizing to heat.

Done

Havok

This isn't where I parked my car...
Reaction score
Great write up. Thank you for this.

I am on my first grow and I am trying to do to many things at once. Keep it simple

G.Leave

Auto Warrior
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Great write up. Thank you for this.

I am on my first grow and I am trying to do to many things at once. Keep it simple
Growing fine plants can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be...tailor your grow how you want it to be!!