• Come join us as we welcome Horticulture Lighting Group to the Autoflower Network!

We have an official representative from HLG that will be active on the forum to answer your questions, several units that are coming for our official product testing (grow and show's,) and we'll be working together to provide better information on lighting in general!

Come say hello!
  • Do you LOVE AFN?? bighug We do too!! But we need your help to keep the servers running!

If you feel like AFN has been useful in your journey and would like to help us pay some of the bills, we have a gofundme page setup for donations.
    Any amount that you can spare will be gratefully received

Click [HERE] to donate to AFN

UVB to increase terpenes?

StevOrganic

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Critical Jack
Hey guys so just wondering if anyone here has tried using uvb light fixture in the last few weeks of flowering to increase terpenes and essential oils?

KDawg

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Yes, most recently Cerebral Goo, I believe...and Mañ'O'Green has tried just about everything.

If you have specific questions, you can try @'ing them in this thread.

DCLXVI

Non smoker
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Old Man Kostas. Meraki!
I run a t5 uv light. I could not tell you if it improved things but it definitely did not hurt. My most recent grow turned out very well and the prior one had a pest problem that the UV light seemed to kill them all. Interesting but anecdotal.

I run this fixture with the UV bulb option:

This bulb: It's an option on the lamp.

agromax bulb info

agromax UV article:

Mañ'O'Green

Kia ora. Retired to watch the grass grow.
Staff member
AFN Global Moderator
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Dabs of Rosin.
Hey guys so just wondering if anyone here has tried using uvb light fixture in the last few weeks of flowering to increase terpenes and essential oils?
Yes I run both UVA and UVB lights. The UVA is run all day the last 3 or 4 weeks of flower and it increases the terpene profile. Then I run for a couple of hours a day the UVB the last two or three weeks to pump up the THC and other cannabinoids. It works a trick!

BigB6

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Uv light definitely 100% makes a difference. In saying that, there is question about wether it has an effect of indica dominant strains as it does with sativa. I'm planning on testing this on the next run. But it definitely took my buds to the next level.

Dreary

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
I run a t5 uv light. I could not tell you if it improved things but it definitely did not hurt. My most recent grow turned out very well and the prior one had a pest problem that the UV light seemed to kill them all. Interesting but anecdotal.

I run this fixture with the UV bulb option:

This bulb: It's an option on the lamp.

agromax bulb info

agromax UV article:

What schedule do you use with your UV? How many hours etc?

DCLXVI

Non smoker
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Old Man Kostas. Meraki!
What schedule do you use with your UV? How many hours etc?
I run mine in 15 min increments for a total of 2 hours. I run an 18/6 light schedule and I have the UV hit in the middle of the lights on. That way I have a couple hours on either end to tend to my plants. UV lights are strong and dangerous. You do not want to be in the tent when they are on.

Man O Green has a couple different UV lamps so his schedule is a bit different. I only have the Pure UV so I took the suggestions in the agromax article I linked. Seems to have worked well so far. I also have only been growing in a 2x2 with smaller plants so I don't think they need as large a dose.

StevOrganic

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Critical Jack
Yes I run both UVA and UVB lights. The UVA is run all day the last 3 or 4 weeks of flower and it increases the terpene profile. Then I run for a couple of hours a day the UVB the last two or three weeks to pump up the THC and other cannabinoids. It works a trick!
Cool man thanks that's my mind made up I'm going to pick one up from Shane in Migro at the weekend. I'm running the aray 4 led bars of his and the plants are loving it. Just watched a very good YouTube video where he talks in depth on led lighting if any of you are interested here's the link

mwilliams2006

Forget the failures. Keep the lessons. –Dalai Lama
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
American Pie Auto
FWIW, I vertically installed (4) 24w T5HO 10.0 herp tubes that run approx. 30% UVA and 10% UVB. I just installed them so "first light" will be the last 4 weeks of flower of my current grow (day 17). Planning on ramping up to 4 hours/day in 30min. increments and watching closely.

The reason I didn't go the Agromax route is that I run a small (2x2.5x7') tent and the bulbs would be inches away from the plant. Too risky IMHO. I have no idea whether these herp tubes will be intense enough to cause an increase in cannabinoids/terpenes but we'll see.

On a side note, ran across some posts on another forum stating that in order for UVB to activate the gene that causes the THC increase, the output needs to extend down to 290 nm which Agromax and other bulbs (allegedly except for one) do not do. This may be inaccurate but I am drilling down on this and will share what I find, if anything. HTH, IMHO, YMMV, etc.