1. Kindness cost nothing but is valuable to all. Be kind today, don't let anyone steal your sunshine and if you meet someone missing theirs, shine on for them. Make it a great day!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. AFN is on Vimeo!

Come give us a follow and check out our tutorial videos by 912greenskell! Do you have Vimeo? Post your profile in this thread and we'll follow you!
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome Operation Compassionate Care!

Discussion in 'Operation Compassionate Care' started by Son of Hobbes, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Dabber

Dabber Smoke Cannabis Live with Friends on AFN CannaZone Product Tester (Tier 1)

Currently Smoking:
    Blue Cheese, Lemon Haze, Blackberry Kush, OG Kush , 3BOG
  2. Farming Enthusiast

Farming Enthusiast Auto Warrior

Currently Smoking:
    blueberry
  3. Dudeski

Dudeski Smoke Cannabis Live with Friends on AFN Staff Member Global Moderator

Currently Smoking:
    Fairy Frost by Portal
    Welcome to afn OCC!

4. Need4Weed

Need4Weed Smoke Cannabis Live with Friends on AFN General Staff

Currently Smoking:
    3 Bears OG, Alien Vs Triangle
    Welcome to AFN Operation Compassionate Care! :headbang:

5. Ripper

Ripper Garage Farmer Staff Member Global Moderator (SA)

6. Son of Hobbes

Son of Hobbes High of the Tiger Staff Member Site Administrator

Currently Smoking:
    Girl Scout Cookies
    This is my story with these guys.

I met OCC at the CannaGrow Expo in Denver, CO back in October '17. Shawn Lerma, their director, told me about their program and what they did and I just thought it was a great thing they were doing and literally teaching vets how to grow their own medicine. Originally we had just talked about helping to get some high CBD autoflowering strains out to them to them for their program, then we started talk about grow equipment for their donation list. Over the course of months, Shawn and I started BS'ing with each other and just becoming friends on the phone.

About a month ago, he called me up out of the blue with kind of a different request; he said that a gentleman named David, a 60 year old Army Ranger veteran, was a worker at the hotel where CannaGrow was hosted. David had an accident on the job, they piss tested him and found THC in his system, fired him and denied his workers compensation. He was without work for months, about to get kicked out of his house, and has a 15 year son with autism he takes care of. So he asked if David could call me and just see if I could help. I have to be honest, I was like "ummm... dude I have no clue how I can help this guy honestly, I'm just a dude, but... give him my number I guess."

So David calls me and tells me his story and what happened. I've never had a grown man, let a lone an Army Ranger, cry on the phone asking for my help before. He didn't want money, he just wanted help finding work so he could provide. That's all he wanted. So I told him I would try to do what I could.

So I posted up in the private cannabis forum I manage asking if anyone had ideas on helping. One of the producers of CannaGrow, Joseph De Palma, saw my post on the private forum and reached out to me personally asking how he could help and to make a donation to the guy. One of the workers for AgriScience out of Colorado saw the post, and turns out she also helps run the Colorado MED Badge program, and offered to notarize and cover all of his paperwork on the application to get a MED badge, a requirement to work in the cannabis industry in Colorado. OCC offered to pay all his paperwork to get the MED badge filed off. Multiple businesses offered links to sites that may be hiring. So we basically have the path and framework for this guy to get a job in an industry that will support his choice to his medicine!

I started a GoFundMe for David and we raised about $220 to help get him off his feet a bit and we're actively looking for housing for him now down in our area; my wife thinks she could get him a job at the diner she works at if he wants to come down this way.

I don't know if I would call it a success story, but it's something we're doing to try to make an impact. If we can help one person, it's one person that might be able to help someone else. I wanted to extend the offer to all of these guys to come here, to learn more about this plant we all share major passion for, and to be part of the community that so many of us have spent years loving and pouring our time into.

@Eekman is going to be helping to head up the project and forum with us as well, so he'll be a main point of contact for information with this once we get rolling. :bighug:

7. Eekman

Eekman Medical Section Advisor Staff Member Global Moderator

I am honored to work with those who have served. I will do what I can, but at the moment we are just getting this rolling, so I don't know much about their workings. As I become more familiar with OCC, I will gladly lay down all the particulars.

I know that from our point of view, I hope to help some veterans get thier operation to grow, up and running. Making thier own meds, is a two fold type of therapy. You get the satisfaction of growing something and getting one's hands dirty. And the medicine they grow can be specifically tailored to a persons needs.

What we hope to do with this section, is provide a place where patients of OCC can relate thier growing experiences, find help with growing, and pretty much what AFN is designed to do, help new growers make thier own medicine.

Hope you all lend some support, and as we see where this is going, we can then find places for you all to put your hands in to help.

Peace
    :pass:

8. Eekman

Eekman Medical Section Advisor Staff Member Global Moderator

9. Need4Weed

Need4Weed Smoke Cannabis Live with Friends on AFN General Staff

Currently Smoking:
    3 Bears OG, Alien Vs Triangle
    Count me in @Eekman :vibe:

912GreenSkell, johnp540 and Dudeski like this.
  10. hecno

hecno Worm Hunter . General Staff

Welcome to AFN - OCC It is a great thing you are doing . :thumbsup: