Isolation Pollination : The Guide
So this is something that I was asked to do by a few members and I think that its rather important to those who are into breeding as well as those who are just wanting to carry on something they enjoy smoking. Something that is becoming more and more rare are reg beans in the auto world. I see more and more breeders going this route, and I honestly cant say that I blame them. It does two things, protects the genetics and makes sure that the customer gets what they want, A female plant.
There are however those out there that want to either do a small breeding project or just simply want to experiment. And if that is the case this post is for you. Here we will go over from start to finish what I do to isolate the plant to have seed as well as good smoke to enjoy as I move forward in my breeding. This allows me to continue on my project as well as know what the pure sensi would be from the plant, and this is all done at the same time.
So lets get started, plant of choice today is my ALF#5 female, this was one of 2 that were selected but this one is well into advanced flower and ready for pollen.
First we have the mother…
Now on to what I like to call isolation….
Here we select the branch,
Once selected we trim out a few fans so we have some left but not the larger ones that are typically near the lower branches.
Once the branch is selected like you saw above its time to get the baggie ready for the isolation. I have noted from past grows that this is the best way to cut the bag to make sure that it does not tear or worse leak pollen all over your tent.
If you take a look at the thin blue lines you can see the notch that I cut into the baggie to insert the branch into. Now this is a starter size you can modify it to what you need given the plant.
Next what we want to do is bind the baggie to the plant to make sure that it is indeed isolated from the rest of the lot. So we will use a bread tie to secure the lower cut part of the baggie.
Now that we have the branch isolated we need to protect the rest of the plant from pollen. There are two things that need to happen. A water barrier as well as a physical barrier.
Once the branch is isolated make sure the baggie is sealed. Then spray the plant down, this will add a water barrier to the rest of the plant. Does not need to be a lot of water because you will have buds forming and if you don’t have proper circulation you could cause mold, so take it easy here. Once the plant has been sprayed down, you will want to bag the plant with a garbage bag. Little something like this….
Once this step has been completed, I then spray one more time. Coat the bags in water and provide another chance to stop any of the rogue pollen. This also allows the plant to go back in the same room that it was in previous to the pollination. Now we are ready for the pollen to be introduced, so now we crack the baggie open and bring on the love dust.
Once the bag is open I like to bring the pollen as close to the working area as I can. That way there isn’t much movement between the container and the branch. Less time that it has to move through the air, we are dealing with pollen here. I like to use a little Tupperware container because they have natural static cling, which is nice since were dealing with something here that can get airborne easily. They are also air tight and can be frozen to keep the pollen alive for a while. I use either a brush or a q-tip to paint the hairs in the open bag.
Then we gently paint the hairs on the plant inside the bag and I like to just drop some on the leaves in there so when I seal the bag I can bounce it around a bit to get a little more covered in there. Once that is all done and you have completed the steps make sure that the baggie is sealed at the bottom and the top and spray one more time to make sure that you don’t have rogue pollen.
Then its time to remove the baggie and place the plant back in its room to cook for 24 hours. Once its been in the tent for 24 hours its time to reverse the process. I typically pull the plant out and spray it down, cover it with a garbage bag again and then open the baggie, once the baggie is opened I hose it down, making sure to kill any pollen inside the bag. Once that is done I usually seal the baggie and bounce the water around. Then remove the tie and drain. Pull the baggie off and then remove the garbage bag, spray lightly over the plant again and place them back in the room.
I get a pretty decent success this way when I don’t do an open pollination, it allows me to keep things I like and smoke it at the same time as well as catch a lucky pheno that I could use in my breeding program.